+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Salt Water

Hybrid View

Default New to Salt Water

Hello, I just moved to Eastern north carolina to jacksonville and I am new to the concept of Salt water fly Fishing, I have completely no idea how to go about doing it. I have fished small freshwater streams and lakes my whole life and i want to try out the ocean now. I Planed on renting a kayak or surf fishing for the most part i don't have money to buy a boat or store it anywhere since I'm in the military. I have been scouring the internet for tips or any knowledge on the subject but i haven't yet found any. SO here are some of my questions that i have.

1. I have a 8'6 5 wt fresh water rod ( is there a difference between freshwater and salt will i need to buy a new one)
    2. what type of line should i get. What kind of entry level fly reel should I get.
    3. What species inhabit costal north carolina that are in surf and kayak range.
    4. What books or where can i get any knowledge I read to get spun up on the type of fishing I plan on doing.

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

I'll give this a try.

Realize that while I'm a Floridian, I've never fished around Jacksonville. From what I've heard, a lot of fishing there takes place in tidal creeks for redfish and spotted seatrout. While you can handle most trout and some redfish on a 5-weight rod, you might need a little bigger rod (7 or to be able to cast the bigger and often heavier flies (Clousers, Gurglers, etc.). As far as a reel goes, all you need is something that will hold up against salt water. Most often the reel's sole purpose is to hold the line at the end of the day. I've caught 30-inch reds that never got me into the backing and that I could hand-strip in. There are many less costly reels out there that can and will do the job.
    As far as lines go, I use a Scientific Anglers Redifsh full floating line on my 8-weight and an SA clear sinktip on my 6-weight. I like to use the 6 when I'm targetting trout.

I'm not sure what's in the surf up that way, but I would guess you might encounter reds, flounder, whiting, pompano, black drum and others. There are striped bass in the St. Johns River, so I'm sure they migrate through the Atlantic.

You can Google some kayak clubs/forums in that area.

Hope this helps!
    Steve

That helps a lot I just need some direction, I'm sure ill catch on in the spring. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can so when I do go out there I will be able to trick something into taking my fly.

Dixie, Louisiana just north of Shreveport

Fender,
    I was a fresh water fly fisherman for 40 years, then 10 years ago, I booked a trip with a guide in south Louisiana and caught my first redfish. The rest is history, as I now own a kayak, a bay boat, and about 4 rods that I use, depending on species. I would recommend an 8 wt rod with a wf floating line. With the heavier flies like spoons and clousers, and the more wind resistant flies you are going to need the extra punch. Also, on the coast, the wind is ALWAYS blowing, so you need the extra backbone in your rod to handle that. In the gulf and marsh, we catch reds, specks, lady fish, flounder, spanish mackerel, and jack crevalle. I have not caught a triple tail yet, but will keep trying. As for flies, clousers, spoons, crab and shrimp, and any bait-fish profile in the right part of the water column should cover most of your inshore fishing. Kayak fishing is a hoot. I would look at the Native Ultimate 14 for a kayak that is easy to paddle and you can stand up in it. Good luck and tight lines.
    Frank

I would look into a 7 or 8wt rod and a floating line. I prefer a bonefish taper when fishing from a boat but a redfish taper may work well for you frm the kayak or wading. When buying a reel, make sure you get a saltwater model made from aluminum or you will be constantly fighting corrosiion. A good book to check out is Redfish on the Fly by Capt. John Kumiski. he is a Florida guide but there is some North and South Carolina information in there as well. It is full of useful information about inshore saltwater fishing.

Check out http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/
    You will be living in great area for FF the salt. Brian Horsley and wife Sarah Gardner are top notch from what I know of them. Personally, I always used a 9wt when I lived along the coast.

As your first saltwater flyrod, I'd recommend a 9 wt with a clear intermediate line. It should take care of all conditions, windy, from a kayak or dragging jacks or big snook from under docks and rockpiles. I have found I use my 9 wt. more than my 8 wt. when fishing Florida.

Also, please check your pm's for additional info.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread