+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot

Hybrid View

Question Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot

I have been playing around with my Tie-Fast Tyer. Using it to tie on flies as per the instructions.
    I was wondering if anyone had ever tested this knot for strength ?? Sure looks better than a clinch knot or improved clinch knot as the tag is buried by the wraps. Unlike the clinch which is only held by one turn of the knot. According to the instructions, the greater the tension applied the tighter the grip on the tag. I also like the way the tag exits the knot going down the line and not out the side.
    FFF Life Member #22

I've never conducted an official test, but have used the tool many times. Never had the knot fail........

I always show an interest in these knot type threads. I have watched with great interest Knot Wars here: http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraCont...ntentHome.aspx

Knots are more than which one is the strongest. For me I have to tie it in dim light, with very cold hands too. Just because I can do it at the tying desk doesn't mean I can do it fast while the fish are feeding right infront of me at 11 pm and and cold. I really thought about using the nail knot to nail knot instead of a blood knot, but it is so hard to stop using a double surgeons when it is so fast and easy and is good nuff.

4. Default

Where would one find information on this Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot? Sounds interesting

interesting...Personally, I just don't like carrying extra stuff around. I have been using uni-knots (similar, but not quite the same) for a lot of my fly tying applications. never had one of those fail & they are really quick and easy to tie with cold wet fingers.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by DickM View Post
    I have been playing around with my Tie-Fast Tyer. Using it to tie on flies as per the instructions.
    I was wondering if anyone had ever tested this knot for strength ?? Sure looks better than a clinch knot or improved clinch knot as the tag is buried by the wraps. Unlike the clinch which is only held by one turn of the knot. According to the instructions, the greater the tension applied the tighter the grip on the tag. I also like the way the tag exits the knot going down the line and not out the side.
    While the tie-fast is a life saver for the knail knot, I take a pass on othe other knots. Because you're pulling the tag end, rather than the standing end, the tie-fast knots use too much tippet.

Steven..........
    Actually you don?t use up much of the tag at all. Maybe three inches.
    You pull the tag off the tool and then the knot slides down to the eye of the hook.
    I would consider that using up the tag end is of no consequence anyway. Tippet material is relatively cheap and expendable. And tippets are easily attached now-a-days with a three turn surgeon?s knot.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I don't know. I like to get a decent grip and twist the tag end around my finger.

Anyway, even if it's three inches, that's about 2 1/2" more than doing an Orvis Knot (my favorite) or a clinch.

Rather than the Gryp knot, I've been more intrigued with the double nail knot to connect sections. Generally, I now use blood knots forthe thicker sections, and the Orvis tippet knot for the thinner sections.

Default Tippet Cost

Steven .........
    Let see: A spool of Orvis Mirage Fluorocarbon tippet material goes for $9.95 for a 40 meter spool of material from 7X-0X.
    That?s about 120 feet or 1440 inches.
    Say you make your tippets 24" long, you will be able to make 60 tippets.
    That comes to $0.166 pet tippet change.
    But remember that you will be able to tie on at least 2 or 3 fly changes on each tippet. So, you can cut that figure in half at least.
    I think we can afford that.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread