+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vise height, whats most comfortable?

Hybrid View

Default vise height, whats most comfortable?

I'm sure this is something that everyone goes through. After I sit a my vise for a bit my shoulders and back start to feel it. So I figured I'd see where you guys place your vice in relation to your body and about how high it sits. I figure it might shorten the trial and error process at home to know where most people are setting their vices at. Presently I am looking down on my flies so I'm wondering if maybe Im setting it way too low.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Had that same question a while back myself. That sweet spot is harder to find than
    it would seem. So far a few inches below eye level has worked good for me but I
    still shift it around from time to time to see if it's more comfortable. Will be interesting
    to hear other's idea's.

I keep the height of mine about even with the base of my neck, or a little lower. I find that it allows me to rest my elbows or forearms on the edge of the table, which gives me better control, and relieves fatigue from having my arms unsupported. I'd rather adjust my focal point with magnifier glasses or some such device rather than to eliminate the option of unsupported arms.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Would be nice to think that there is some kind of formula for this.

Unfortunitly, this is one of those things that varies wildly from tyer to tyer.

Make sure first, though, that you have a good chair. That will solve the vast majority of tying fatigue issues.

You want to sit comfortably without bending over, and be able to easily reach the vise without overstretching or looking like you are holding a shotgun.

By far most folks tie with the vise too high, and after a poor seat that is the most common cause of tying disconfort.

Finding the correct vise height after that will just take some tial and error.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I used to have pain between my shoulders when I tied. Because of that, I've dropped my vise down a fair amount. I esentially tie in my lap. With my upper arms held straight down, my forearms are at a 90 degree angle at most, they may even be pointing downwards a little bit. Since I've done this, no pain at all when tying.

Kevin

I have vise extender that brings the vise off the desk. Then I have an adjustable chair with adjustable arms. I can pull right up to the vise and rest my elbows on the arm rests. So basically the vise is practically at eye height.

The vise extender came from Feather-Craft. I got their model but I think I would like the more expensive one better.

+ Reply to Thread