Marty,

I have an Outcast Fish Cat 10 IR pontoon. I have a piece of plywood that I span my frame with and tuck under the seat. It goes into the space in front of me and tucks far enough under the seat that I can safely stand on it. It also gives me a "floor" when I'm exclusively rowing. I stand up on it to flycast in calm waters and it's fine. The problem is I am usually wearing fins as I like to propel my pontoon that way when I'm fishing and I usually use the oars only when I want to cover water, as in getting from place to place.

I have this piece of plywood stored behind my seat and when I need to stand or decide to use the toon like a more conventional rowboat. I just slip it across the frame and under the seat and I'm good to go. Now the problem as I see it is that standing and fin propulsion are mutually exclusive although with those new "flip up fins" there may be possibilities. With the high seating position standing is really not necessary unless maybe sightfishing for carp at anchor.

If you stand without anchoring you are at the mercy of the wind. Fins are an asset in helping counteract wind. So you see it is somewhat of a catch22 situation. If you cornered me on preferences as to standing or finning, I would definitely go with the fins.

God Bless,
Don