+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why dont sponsors post on the bulletin boards

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default why dont sponsors post on the bulletin boards

sure you can go to the sponsor page and get some insight about them but it would be nice to hear from them.

they could post about their specials or sales theyre having?

just a dumb thought!

Thumbs up

Normand - Nothing dumb about that idea at all! Some of our sponsors do post here. Just a brief list off the top of my head:

Mustad - Jeff Pierce
    Fly Reel Dots - Jerry Brumfield
    BT's Flyfishing Products - Al Beatty
    Hook & Hackle - Ron
    Conranch Hackle - Denny Conrad

Heck, Denny is even a moderator here! I've personally met three of these guys, and they're all flyfishing addicts - just like us. They're all FAR more interested in helping people out than pushing their products. You'd be surprised at who looks at this site, like what they see, and are content to let us do their advertising for them. Word of mouth by the consumer is a powerful tool...

I especially like it when Ron (H&H) gives us a special FAOL members only discount! (Hint hint, Ron)

My thought is it's BEST for sponsors not to interact with BBs and become "friends". Business is business and making "friends" is generally NOT a good policy. I can't put my finger on exactly WHAT issues would arise but I have this strong sense that it's best for business owners to stay behind the scenes.
    I'm sorry my answer is so vague but .................................................. ...

Mark
    PS: It's a bit like having an AMWAY person for a friend.......................and being "caught" by her/him (of you) buying laundry detergent in a Wal-Mart AND this just came to me... Friendship creates " expectations" perceived or otherwise by both parties and that 'something I would prefer to avoid.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-18-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Sage rods posts here too

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    Sage rods posts here too
    under what user name??

There is only one thing I would like to say, Thank God for the sponsors or we wouldn't have a FAOL/BB
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Smile

Marco, My friend think about what you just wrote. How many to your enemies do you do business with. It is true doing business with a friend can put a strain on the friendship when the rod breaks or the drag on the reel locks up but you have to understand the terms of a deal but I trust a friend to explain the rod did not have a lifetime warranty, etc. and to be a true friend even if I go else where to buy an item.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,
    "Enemies" is not the only alternative to "friends". And your broken rod scenario is one of the reasons I would "prefer" to hold to my statement. It's not easily explained nor is it cast in stone , it's just a preference. And , as for " and to be a true friend even if I go elsewhere to buy an item", I picture THAT as ONLY my MOTHER .

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Jesse,
    "Enemies" is not the only alternative to "friends". And your broken rod scenario is one of the reasons I would "prefer" to hold to my statement. It's not easily explained nor is it cast in stone , it's just a preference. And , as for " and to be a true friend even if I go elsewhere to buy an item", I picture THAT as ONLY my MOTHER .

Mark
    I stand corrected, and I agree, there is no one I consider a personal enemy. There are a very few people I really don't like. I would not do them harm for the enjoment of seeingthem suffer, although I might contemplate it. I do prefer to do business with people I like and learn to trust. There are a few people I like but do not trust and would not do business with unless I controlled all factors..
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Interesting idea.

I don't think the business owners would want to become our best friends, but a "Sponsors" forum section where they could post news updates, specials, info about new products, etc. may be a good idea to both get them engaged with the FAOL community and a way to get a little more return on their advertising investment.

For example, the sponsor link that is showing at the top of this page is from Chota (changes with screen refresh I believe). I know Chota has some new boots on the market this year. I would imagine if they had a place to post links to their new products it would be a good thing for us and for our sponsors.

Just a thought.
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread