+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB small stream rod

Hybrid View

Default WTB small stream rod

Looking for a short (8' or under) 3 or 4 weight. Would prefer a more "traditional" flex rod like a Winston WT or LT. Orvis Superfine or the like. Let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flywatersmallie View Post
    Looking for a short (8' or under) 3 or 4 weight. Would prefer a more "traditional" flex rod like a Winston WT or LT. Orvis Superfine or the like. Let me know. Thanks
    Cabelas sells a three forks model that is a 3 piece, 7-1/2' 3 weight that gets a lot of really good reviews. For $50 you can't beat it.

Are you going to chase carp with that 3 wt? Sorry guys inside joke. I have caught them on my 3 wt and it is a riot.

My only comment is about rod length and small streams. If you are under 9' tall and you are standing in a stream that is only a few feet across and it's July or Aug and the weeds are close to as tall as you are while you are walking on the ground, now stand in the water 3' deep and cast a 6 1/2' rod. I'm exhaugerating everything of course, but I think there is a place for a 9/' rod on even a very small stream. If you have a ton of overhead stuff that might be a different story. I just find that my cast gets stuck in the tall grass if I try the short rods later in the season.

I guess the real answer is more rods! I like that.

PM sent .
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

You know I just might Clay! Actually, I do have a longer 4 weight already and it works just fine but, there is one particular stream I fish that has a very thick, very low canopy that makes it awfully tough to fish a longer rod. Plus, I have a bit of extra cash right now and I just like buying rods!

Have you thought about a Tenkara rod. http://www.tenkarausa.com

You know I just might Clay! Actually, I do have a longer 4 weight already and it works just fine but, there is one particular stream I fish that has a very thick, very low canopy that makes it awfully tough to fish a longer rod. Plus, I have a bit of extra cash right now and I just like buying rods!
    There is no better reason in the world to buy one than you "want one". It's all cool. Have fun with the new rod.

I have a Grey's Streamflex, 2010 model, new, w/case, is 71/2 ft, 4pc. for 3wt. line, rod wt. 2.57oz., action like the Superfine, or a tad quicker, 240.00 retail, want 150.00 plus ship. About as pretty a little rod as you will find,looks a lot like the Trout Bum series in Orvis. Thanks, Don, put a voice to the deal you can email me for phone no.

Thanks all, found what I was looking for

+ Reply to Thread