+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taper Patents?

Hybrid View

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Taper Patents?

Are Tapers patented? If not.....

The topic of bamboo blanks made overseas selling for a fraction of American made blanks has come up several times. If a particular taper is not patented then what's the difference of an import shop making you a blank based on the same taper as an American custom shop?. Other than 1/10th the price perhaps?

-Quality may be better? Possibly. but 10 times better?

-Material? The cane came from Asia in the first place didn't it? That just means the the local guys HAS to to pay more for imported material. However the material is only a fraction of the cost of a cane blank to either.

-That leaves just labor? Just because a local custom shop charges $big bucks/per hour to build you a blank, if material and craftsmanship are roughly equal, (Lets assume they're close for sake of argument) then it's down to paying a few bucks/hour or 50 bucks/hour for that blank?

So if the taper is not patented and you're getting a comparable product are you just paying alot more to say it's Made in America?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying locally, but there's a certain limit to practical economics. Buying a handmade automobile will get you the best craftsmanship available, but at a price only the Bill Gates' of the world can afford. That leads to the questions of WHY do want that super high priced product? So you can say 'This is a custom bamboo rod made just for me'? But thats another topic.

I've looked at imported bamboo blanks, and would buy one for sereval reasons.
    1- They are economical in the overall realm of bamboo.
    2- I dont fish for trout so I dont need a super light/delicate action.
    3- I've always wanted a bamboo fly rod, just because they look really really cool.

As one who has worked hard in the past years to try and wrap my head around this same question because i want to build them myself and sell them I honestly can say the closest to an answer I have gotten is quality.... 10 times better maybe not but not far off either. You really need to pick a boo builder and I mean pick him like he's going to be the one that has your back before you go into battle it's the subtle things that really make good boo, good boo. I have built several PMQ's and not just the tomato stake ones either I have built some from good tonkin cane and it takes a trained hand and eye to know when and how to do everything. Now all that being said the is a Payne taper a Payne taper??????? Pretty much but is it built from high quality cane or run of the mill with really good power fibers or decent power fibers, is it built by a master or a 15yr old girl payed .03 per hour to stand and feed strips into a machine, is it truly a labor of love or an end to a mean?????? The gentle man that has been working with me to learn all these intricate details told me to never build a rod to put food on the table, if it comes to that go out catch a fish and eat it with another rod. Only build because you love it and want to do it. Honestly though if it's something you want just to have and use once in a while the choice is up to you. I'm not going to tell you that one is truly the best end all be all of bamboo fly rods because I have seen the ones that come from over seas and they really aren't all that bad, but the ones built here for a premium price aren't all that bad either. As for buying local I agree, I'll buy everything I can from my local shops and suppliers until I find a deal that they can't beat.

Steve

To all those who think american rod makers should work for overseas wages.

As an american bamboo rod maker I must ask the question. What do you think my wages should be? It takes me 60 - 80 hours of labor plus the material to make a bamboo fly rod. Do you think I should work for a wage that is any thing less than your base wage?

fishbum

My point exactly fishbum. That is the very reason I believe I will never build a boo rod for anyone, I simply can't jusify the time and effort it takes at the price it would take for me to do it. I'm a bargain hunter and i keep that in mind when I build something for someone unless they tell me that price is not an option and that they want .............. whatever. I have trouble asking people to pay the kind of money for a rod that i personally wouldn't pay myself. Not to say that we're not comparing apple to apples because i don't for a second believe that we are.

Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    To all those who think american rod makers should work for overseas wages.

As an american bamboo rod maker I must ask the question. What do you think my wages should be? It takes me 60 - 80 hours of labor plus the material to make a bamboo fly rod. Do you think I should work for a wage that is any thing less than your base wage?

fishbum
    I can equate this to another business that I am intimately familiar with, saddlemaking. The average custom saddle would take between 30 and 60 hours to complete. That is 30-60 hours of actual time working on the saddle. It does not include time for glue or anything else to dry or soak up. That saddle has to sell for a minimum of $3000 for the maker to pay the bills and make a living. There is no question that a custom built saddle with the maker selecting the hides and other components will be of a much higher quality than the mass produced saddle from India, China, or Mexico that sells for $500-$1200. However, there is a market for both.

There are folks that want something special that can not afford your boo rods. Those are the folks I'm after. They are not your customers because they can not buy your product. I'm not taking anything away from you because you were not going to get it anyway. What is the difference here between these overseas blanks and the superior product you provide and the Japanese rods vs. the older still sought after American made rods like Payne , Heddon, and others? Not much, methinks. Two distinct markets in both cases.

Another little tidbit to think about is that the folks that get converted to a custom rod at a lower price are the same ones that will likely move into your product later. Once they have a custom rod, they are not going to want to go back to mass produced. Once they get the disposable income, your product is what they are going to want and I have primed the pump for you.

Don't look at this as an assault on your business, but rather as something that will ultimately increase business for you due to the larger number of folks being introduced to bamboo.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

Did not mean to open can of worms, and I'm certainly not putting down the quality of the local custom builders. I appreciate fine craftsmanship. My main focus is on the tapers. Are the tapers coming out of Asia comparable to what's being produced State-side? Not are they equal to, are they comparable to? Do they work, will they cast at all? If they are as bad as some may say, be objective and compare the differences for us. Tell me WHY a $2000 rod is worth that over a $200 rod? Besides the fact that is cost you that much to build. Are they made that much differently?

Someone stated here several months ago in another thread, that some foreign rods were based on big name American manufacturers high-end tapers (stolen taper specs?). If they are not patented and someone else produced a similar product and sold at a much cheaper price? Does that make them automatically an inferior product because the factory paid their employees pennies on the dollar compared to what employees in say, a certain company in Manchester, Vermont might get?

As for your time as a builder, It's only worth (a) what people are willing to pay you and (b) what you're willing to work for, same goes for EVERY profession. With any service/product, what you charge doesn't MAKE the final value worth that much, just that that is how much it you need to charge to produce it. If people will pay your price and you make a profit, you stay in business. What you have convince people of is that you're worth what you charge.

I really hope I didn't comee off as upset I didn't mean anythingin that sense and i doubt that fishbum did either. It tends to sound that way when you talk about something you feel so pashionate about.

As for are they worth it.... the three or four I have played with were not too bad and honestly I have thought about buying one just to have it and really take it apart and see how well i's made (measure the taper more than anything to see how precise they are. As for the rest of it you know go for what you can get. heck if you have the know how build yourself a quad, man that's a great rod and so much fun, super rewarding when you finally cast it the first time.

Steve

Blog Entries

This is one of the pitfalls of a BB Forum. We can not see each other and get the cues we normally would in face to face conversation. It finally dawned on me that I might have come off as upset or dismissive, which I was not intending at all.
    Kevin

Bass_Bug Guest

So, I'm assuming no one has a clue about tapers be patented?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    So, I'm assuming no one has a clue about tapers be patented?
    What?!? You want the original question answered?

I'll do some digging.

I went to

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/res...vance&srch=top

and found all kinds of strange patents on various ways to make bamboo rods but didn't spot anything with a cursory look. I found a patent on a rod made of resin impregnated bamboo, one that scalloped the pieces to lighten things, some novel flexible ferruls, and bunches of other neat and strange stuff but nothing specifically on tapers. The search was for "bamboo fishing rod"
    Last edited by kbproctor; 02-19-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread