My career as an engineer for a mining equipment manufacturer took me to all corners of the world including a couple of years working in China. I can only confirm what you are saying. The Chinese are not becoming capitalists. They have always been capitalists. Only now the political system allows them to utilize their innate characteristics. They will get better. They adapt quickly. They will strive to meet the customers requirements. But I also learned that you will get exactly what you demand and specify and no more. They are very good at leaving out everything you didn't specifically ask for and then calmly telling you "you should have included that in the spec if you wanted it. Oh of course we can do that but the price will be different." The chinese manufacturer doesn't know or care any more about fly rods than he does about running shoes, snow boards, or smurfs. They are just things to be made.

Now, all you have to do is write down the detailed specifications of what makes a quality fly rod and your are in business.