Clearly, if any of the classic tapers were patented, any such patents have long since expired. Hundreds are published in books and on rod makers bulletin boards for anyone to use. Among current makers, it is considered a bit unethical to build and sell a rod that is a copy of one of the old masters without clearly stating the origin of the taper. As for the Asian products, many are touted as being copies of or based on some of the most popular tapers from the past. So, are these tapers "stolen"? I don't think so.

As in all things, there is quality and junk and a lot of area in between. Today it is possible to use CNC equipment to rapidly produce precisely beveled strips to any taper you desire. As others have pointed out, duplicating the taper does not mean you get a superior rod. There are just too many variables in materials and opportunities for shortcuts in the methods to judge a rod strictly by its taper. Personally I believe the current crop of American makers are turning out the best bamboo rods ever made and many are even worth the price they are charging for them. The availability of cheap Asian blanks won't change that. In fact it may give many an opportunity to try bamboo who would never otherwise do so and thereby in the long run produce more customers for the upper end rods. The risk is that many of them will try a cheap poorly constructed rod that does not perform and write off bamboo forever. That would be a tragedy in my opinion.