+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy, Medium, or Light

Default Heavy, Medium, or Light

This may or may not be a controversial topic. I remember reading an old article in Field & Stream by one of my favorite writers, Gene Hill, about his preferred rods. I don't have the article in front of me - no, it's packed away with the bulk of my magazine collection in a closet.

The gist of the article was though, that Gene didn't want to stress fish too much, and as such his go-to rod for 99% of fishing situations was a 9 weight. His reasoning was that the 9 weight could be cast almost as delicately as a 6 weight - he could cast a size 14 dry fly fairly well with it, just as he could cast a size 2 weighted Wooly Bugger. The 9 had enough backbone and strength to quickly play and land a fish without overexerting it, even if you lost some of the fun of the fight. He likened the 9wts as the 12 guage shotgun of the flyfishing world - very versatile if the person holding it did their part.

I don't necessarily see eye to eye with Gene on that point - I mean I understand his logic, but I find myself drawn to the light weight rods, within reason. I'm sure for small streams, Gene had a 4 weight tucked away. With me, the streams I fish don't grow monster fish, the largest trout I've ever landed on any of my three favorite streams went a whopping 13 inches or so. Gaints for their home water, but not that big in the scheme of things. They're usually narrow, and bushy. My little 3 weight, and my new 2 weight will handle those jobs much better than a 9 weight could. If I'm not fishing for small trout, I'm usually tossing flies to bluegill, crappie, and bass. Biggest fly-caught bass was about 5lbs, landed with a 9 foot 5 weight rod and a stout 8lb leader, using a Deciever.

I've taken a major interest in carp on a fly - and hopefully this year will see that dream come to fruition. For carp I've got a 6 weight ready and waiting for them.

I know Gene had some issues with folks like AJ McLean who fished for damn near every species of fish you could fish for with the little 6 foot "midge" rods of the time - rods that would run probably in the 2 or 3 weight category. Bonefish on a 3 weight would be exciting, but I can see how that would lead to increased mortality with the fish. Lactic acidosis is a fish killer. I know there's folks on here that are probably members of the Orvis 1 club - and have probably landed a number of bigger fish on small rods. There's probably just as many people who think those people are nuttier than squirrel poop, and wouldn't knowingly fish for bigger fish with anything less than a medium or heavy weight rod.

What are your views on the issue? Where do you stand - is big fish on small light rods a no no, or do you say 'hooah' and continue your quest for the 5lb brown on an 0wt rod?

Like I said before, I'm a light tackle guy, tho I prefer to chase the smaller fish. I wouldn't go steelheading with anything less than a 6. When I fish gear, I usually have an ultralight rod in my hand, but again, I'm targeting smaller fish usually. Smallmouth/Largemouth bass in the 1/2 to 5lb range. At the same time though, I do thoroughly enjoy fishing for big carp on ultra light spinning tackle, and have landed a 20lb beast on 4lb line. I played that fish for about 20-30 minutes before bringing her to hand, and I released her quickly. She shot off away from the bank without hesistation, and I'm sure she probably made it. Carp are hardier than trout. I wouldn't think of trying to land a 20lb trout on 4 lb line.

For most fish I'm dealing with (trout, bass, panfish, carp), I'm not as worried with the rod as the tippet in almost all situations. You can fish a lot of species with a 5wt. problem is with the leader and tippet.

If you can break the tippet with the rod in your hand, you cannot exert any more pressure to the fish with a heavier rod.
    ....lee s.

Hi All,

It seems to me that things have changed over the years. Certainly there were people like Lee Wulff who did extraordinary things with short, light rods. But I remember starting out in the late '60's and buying a Fenwick 7' 5 wt that was considered a pretty light rod - a 6 wt being the trout fishing standard. Some even said 7 weights for out west. I think the move to light rods (I fish a 4 wt XP most of the time) is, in part, driven by the rod making industry. It's in their interest to have us all have a full quiver of the latest. That said, I'm going to a fly fishing show later this morning in the Chicago area where I hope to try a 1 or 2 wt.

BTW, a friend of mine who used to guide extensively in New Zealand, told of local trout ff'ing gurus who would use 8 and 9 weights because it was easier to cast 14 to 16' leaders, insuring the most delicate presentaion.

Bob

Lately I've been leaning towards the heavier side. I do quite a bit of fishing for smallmouth bass, and until last year I was using mostly a six weight rod. I recently purchased an eight weight rod and when I use the heavier rod, it takes far less effort to toss larger, heavier, bulkier flies. The eight weight is overkill for smaller bass, but I seem to catch larger bass overall because I'm using bigger flies. Perhaps I'll have to split the difference and get a seven weight.

When I'm panfishing, using a heavier rod (5 or 5 weight) makes dealing with the wind much easier. If there is no wind, I'll use a a three or four weight, but in windy conditions I catch more panfish with a heavier rod because my casts are better.

I bet AJ's "midge" rod was around a 5 or 6 wt. I believe anything under a 4wt is probablly some what of a new invention. Lee Wulffs 6' Midge rod was a 5wt.
    I like the shorter rods now a days. I fish mostly with 7' to 7'6" rods but I do love to fish 5'-6' cane rods. These rods might be short and lack some casting distance and mending ability but they are by no means wimpy when it comes to fighting fish.

I agree with Idabelangler, short rods have an advantage for fighting fish. Being shorter you have a shorte "resistance" arm on the third degree lever that your rod is. Hence, less power needed on the "power" arm to displace a fish of a given weight (within certain logical limits, of course). That's why many times I feel far more secure bringing in a 4 pound rainbow in still waters on a 7 ft 3 wt than on a 9 ft 3 wt. Mechanical advantage. The fish "feels" lighter because of the shorter rod.
    The disadvantage of shorter rods is line control, back-cast clearance over existing vegetation, casting in wind and when your hip deep while wading. A 9 footer just feels more confortable. That's why in some instances I just love my 9 ft 5 wt and in others I prefer my 7 ft 3 wt, even though the average trout I might catch in both cases be only a 12 incher.
    About ultralight gear, click onto to [url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com:5d983]www.byrdultrafly.com[/url:5d983] for some input. When used in the correct manner, an angler can drag in (and I mean really "drag" in, not just play until tired) a big fish in no time flat. In still waters, I've drug in 6 pound rainbows with a 3 wt in way under 5 minutes with 4x tippet. The key, remember the terms "keep your rod low", "put the butt to them", "put them on your reel". Also, todays little 2 and 3 wts are a lot more stronger than you'd think (when used properly).
    It is also relative to the species. If you'd normally use a 8 or 9 wt for bonefish, the use of a 6 wt might be considered ultralight for that species.
    Wish you luck.

It just depends on the conditions and what I'm fishing for, but my 5's, 6 & 7wt get fished most often. Cheers.

I can see the point, but always remember this. If you are fighting a fish and you start to feel it's gone on too long you can simply reach out and grab the line, or straighten the rod and break the tippet. I have been known to do this rather than overstress the fish by continuing the fight.

Jeremy

nutty, RW here,

I am a light tackle nut too nutty. I fish most of the time with my 1 weight, and have no trouble landing fish up to 4 pounds, and, in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, there might be times when the fish you are pursuing reach weights and proportions too big to fish light tackle. But for panfish, small stream trout, and smallmouth bass, my preferred kind of fishing, the light tackle is just the ticket. When I catch a fish I want to feel like I'm "in" the fight, not just a guy hauling in numbers with something that's kin to a telepone pole. There is something in this game of fly fishing for everyone, so don't let anyone preach to you and tell you there isn't. "To each his own" is my motto. Read my profile line.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

+ Reply to Thread