+ Reply to Thread

Thread: F-C Pearl Shiner

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default F-C Pearl Shiner

Does anyone have a recipe for this fly? It looks like from a picture that it uses ostrich, but I could be wrong about that.

Kelkay, I was going to say to ask KelKay from looking at the link and say that I think that she tied all of those, then I look who posted the question - ha. So no I can't help you with the recipe, but the flies in your album are they flies that you tied or flies that you want to tie?

Blog Entries

Those are all flies I have tied myself Clay. That is funny what you said about asking me, and I am the originator of the question. I know that someone tied this pattern, but they didn't use ostrich, I think they tied it with estaz instead. I was just wondering if the tail and body was ostrich, or if the tail was marabou and the body was ostrich. It was hard to tell with the picture I saw.

Tail is ostrich (if you go to F-C site and type in ostrich, they tell you that) with a little pearl Krystal Flash; body appears to be Estaz or Crystal Chenille, head looks like red thread. They also have a pattern sheet available for purchase but this looks like a pretty simple one to figure out..

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Oh cool, thank you Scott!

KeyKay, you have a lot of nice flies in your album. Looks like lots of hard work went into those.

Bass_Bug Guest

Kel, Even though I figured you already had, I was going to say, why don't you just Google 'F-C Pearl Shiner recipe', it cant be too difficult to find? So I did that and the FIRST result was THIS thread. That in itself was not a good sign meaning this is the best reference to that search. But the really SCARY part was that the THIRD result was for similarly named product for, um, er, shall we say a personal massage type device?

Blog Entries

Yes I did put that on a search engine before asking on here. So my question was the top reference huh...yes that is not a good sign. The second reference you mentioned, I am fairly mortified, and won't be clicking on that link...rotfl.

Hi Kelkay;

I too have been interested in this pattern, as others have stated it appears to be ostrich herl tail, and esatz body but when I look in the Feathercraft catalog at the illustration, I think it has a cone head.

I placed an order with them a few days ago and ordered the pattern sheet for this fly, will share recipie when I get it.

Wayne

Blog Entries

Thanks Wayne. I know one man uses ostrich tail, with estaz body, but whether it is weighted or not, I do not know. He also paints the heads beautifully. I plan to tackle this one as soon as I can.

+ Reply to Thread