+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bait holder hooks.??

Default Bait holder hooks.??

While sorting stuff, I ran across a 50 pack of #6 bait holder hooks ( you know..the sort with the twin tiny barbs on the shank) Instead of pitching them, why cant I use them to tie some foam hoppers and beetles on.?? After all...the foam is a lot thicker than those 2 little barbs

There is no reason you can't use them. Take plyers and flatten the barbs if you want to. A very popular bluegill fly, the Jitterbee, calls for using a bait holder hook. I purchased 1000 size 12 bait holders for 10 bucks on Ebay. I use them quite a bit and the fish don't seem to mind.

Tim

They would do well to hold foam.

I use them for wets a lot. They are kinda limited by the selection of sizes but they work just fine.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

I keep a close eye on the hook rack at WalMart or other mainstream tackle type stores.

Sometimes you can get fantastic deals on hooks. Be they baitholder, worm, aberdeen, split shot hooks, drop shot hooks, walleye hooks, they have all kinds of names. But, they are all fish hooks and you can tie flies on any of them. I've even been known to straighten out the kirb or reverse on the ofsett ones so that they sit straight in the vise.

I've gotten 100 paks for as little as $.97, and sometimes you can find some interesting bends and such that will fit some unusual applications for not much money.

The fish, for some odd reason, don't seem to notice at all that I'm not using 'fly tying hooks'. Who would have guessed?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Because you can get them on the cheap I have used them as the cut off front hook on articulated flies...I do clamp down the barbs...if I don't I worry about my thread getting cut or weakened.

+ Reply to Thread