+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread Again

Hybrid View

Default Thread Again

I thought that I had finally settled on a brand of thread. We all have way too much thread after doing this even for a short period of time. Yes, I have the Benecchi, Kevlar, GSP, Uni, Guidebrod, UTC etc. I thought I had settled on using Waspi Ultra UTC threads because at the end of the spools they have a colored disc. I like to use Rite bobbins and they cover the ends of the spools. I can look at a bobbin and see a red disk and say that is UTC 70, or a yellow disk and say that is UTC 140.

I seem to be fraying a lot of the UTC stuff lately. Yes, I know that I should put lotion on my hands so they aren't so rough, but lately while hand or tool whip finishing I have been breaking thread. I saw one video were a guy was using wax on his thread while whip finishing so it all slid down nicely. Nice touch, but one extra step that I don't want to include all of the time.

Keep in mind that I have a good investment in Rite bobbins and I would like to know what's on the various bobbins without taking the bobbin apart to tell and just be able to id it by sight.

What are your thoughts? Tell me to just be more careful and quit whinning.

Clay,

There are drawbacks to each kind of thread. The UTC is nice in that you can tell what it is by the color of the disc, but it tends to fray or separate. You can do things to lessen that effect, twisting it, waxing it, etc.. All of them require paying some kind of special attention to the thread.

I've tried all the threads out there, but haven't yet found one brand or type that works for every fly I tie. So I just gave up and use the different brands and types for the applications they works the best for. This means that I have a lot of thread. I have a lot of other stuff too, and I just learn to deal with it.

I also tie with Rite Bobbins, so what I do is either leave the factory marked end of the spool where I can see it, away from the clutch disc, or mark the uncovered end of the spool with some tape and permanet marker so I can see it at a glance ( I respool a lot of empty thread spools with bulk threads, so I end up having to remark the spool or I'd never know what was on it).

Good luck in your search. Sorry I can't solve this one for you.

Buddy

Buddy, you are always full of wisdom and I enjoy reading your thoughts. You might have the answer there. There is no one answer. Just use the various threads available and be happy. Can't make a 22 rimfire into a 338 Win Mag. Use each tool as it was designed to be used. Cool.

+ Reply to Thread