+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chesapeake Bay

Default Chesapeake Bay

Anyone here familiar with fly-fishing in and around the Chesapeake Bay? I semi-retired about a year ago and I have both the time and the inclination to explore the CB. I'm particularly interested in what I can do with a kayak and a fly rod. - and yes, I've found a couple of other boards dedicated to kayak and bay fishing but I'm partial to the folks here. I'm pretty much convinced fly-fisherman are a breed apart.

Greybeard

The Tie Fest at Kent Island Saturday, 27 Feb, would be a great place to get information http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...77913-Tie-Fest

Lots of good folks there.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks Scott. I checked the link out - Kent Island is 3 -4 hours away depending on traffic but I might still go - don't know yet. I have not found the actual location of the event beyond just Kent Island and I've Googled it and even checked a couple of Kent Island websites. Any thoughts on where it will be held?

It's at the Kent Island Yacht Club; here's directions:
    http://www.kiyc.org/direct.htm

I know it's a bit of a haul, but at least it's on a Saturday, so traffic will only be awful, not horrendous (lol). With folks like Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Brian Horsley and others attending, it should be worth the trip. Besides, you can get some good crabcakes there.

Regards,
    Scott

Crab cakes? Why didn't you say so?!? <g> Thanks - I don't have class that Saturday and I'm really interested in learning to fly-fish the Chesapeake bay - maybe even from a kayak. I may just have to go - I only hope I can catch the Woodrow Wilson bridge without a traffic jam.

Greybeard,

I live in Gloucester County, Virginia and flyfish the middle section of the Bay from a kayak and a skiff regularly. The fishing down here will start to perk up in April and improve steadily as it gets warmer. With the fly rod, you can expect to catch speckled trout, puppy drum, rockfish, flounder, croakers and bluefish. I am happy to share information about flyfishing the Bay. Send me a pm and we'll get better acquainted.

Coach

+ Reply to Thread