I recently received an email from a Lt. stationed in Kuwait; one part, in one particular letter, really touched me in a very profound way. A brief comment, that she made, touched me in such a way that I decided: I must get involved and do anything that I can to get actively involved with helping to promote and build a valuable resource for the soldiers. Granted it is but a very small piece of a puzzle but many different small pieces can build a very large and beautiful final product.

I know that very many want so desperately to send items to the soldiers that are in harms way and that the need to show our gratitude can sometimes become paralyzing for us. I encourage that everyone keeps sending items abroad but I also wanted to share something that is so deeply rooted in me now and touched me in ways that I cannot convey.

I decided to not mention her name as she is still stationed abroad but merely I shall paste the section of her email that touched me in such a profound way. ?my sister always asks me what she and her co-workers or whoever can do to help the troops?and it has occurred to me only lately that ?we? over here, don?t matter so much as the soldiers at Walter Reed in D.C?.and now that I know too many that are going there?it makes it more personal?but I fear ?they? are the forgotten soldiers?. I hope that these words affect everyone with the same desire to not forget and equally promote the depth of wanting to get involved and help the soldiers, much in the same way that these words have affected me. First thing this morning I decided that I must do something for these wounded soldiers but at the same time I also wanted to do something that I now see clearly; this topic is very important for the soldiers that are still in these far off lands.

I made many phone calls and volunteered in every way that I can think of. In the process I discovered many things that are wonderful to know. At Walter Reed Hospital, many volunteer groups and organizations are coming forward to offer services in a huge array of ways. The doctors have discovered that many of the projects are helping accelerate the recovery process and helping many other wounded soldiers in many different ways as well. I don?t mean to paint a rosy color as it is merely a start and a very temporary one at best. Also know that the projects go far beyond just the fly fishing community, canoeing groups, kayaking and many other outdoor groups are actively involved at Walter Reed now as well.

A friend that I consider to be very dear to me because of the great character that he possesses, John Colburn, has spent countless hours at Walter Reed teaching fly tying. To everyone?s amazement, he has had several soldiers with severe traumatic injuries to their arms and even missing arms join his class. The best and most amazing part of his dedication to teaching this course to the wounded soldiers is the fact that the Doctors have discovered the soldiers are developing motor functions much quicker and that they are also able to assist new coordination of there arm and hand functions, for future daily tasks, quicker as well. This has become a permanent part of the therapeutic department at Walter Reed now. Along with John Colburn, Ed Nicholson teaches fly casting and fishing to the wounded soldiers. This is something else that has proven itself to be very therapeutic and is on its way to becomeing another permanent venue at Walter Reed. John and Ed, with several other persons and groups, have joined forces to develop an organization to make this a permanent agenda and named the organization: ?Project Healing Waters?.

?Project Healing Waters? can be and is a very valuable tool that can go a long way in helping these soldiers. I can speak for my self, as a Disabled American Veteran, that my time fly fishing on the waters has very therapeutic properties as it does allow me those moments of piece and a time that I can get away from my own problems and mind. The current problem is the fact most of the attention is conducted at Walter Reed and more volunteers are needed to continue this great program at that VA Hospitals across the country. The soldiers are commonly at Walter Reed until it is safe for them to leave. After this they continue there therapy and hospital needs in the VA Hospitals across the country, this is where we desperately need to grow and duplicate the great programs that are underway at Walter Reed.

As ?Project Healing Waters? continues to grow plans to incorporate as a 501c3 corporation seem very likely; this will help facilitate a means of receiving those funds that are required to help grow any organization while supporting a means of helping to fully outfit the soldiers.

Anyone that is interested in starting this type of project, at their closest VA Hospital, please feel free to contact me at bencochran@netzero.net I will make sure to help get the outlines from Ed and John and I am more than glad to offer any amount of my time and travels to help everyone that offers help to our wounded soldiers?

Also: I will gladly forward any of your comments to her as I know this is important to her and many of the folks at command in Kuwait. A little background on her: She spent 12 months Boots on the Ground in Iraq and then volunteered for an additional 6 months at command in Kuwait. This topic is important to her and many of the soldiers over there, I hope some can volunteer to help their wounded friends at Walter Reed and in the VA Hospitals across our country...

[This message has been edited by BenC (edited 06 February 2006).]