+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why pack a gun while fishing?

For those who wish to come out here to fish where I do, PLEASE understand, quite a few of the areas do NOT have cell phone coverage, the police/sheriff response time WHEN you get hold of them can be up to an hour or longer depending on where you are at. Some of the areas are accessable only by foot not because of private property, but terrain. You can be in wilderness or even just a remote area with no vehicle access because of the terrain, trees, canyons, etc. I have had the good fortune of stopping two people from robbing my hunting camp by being where they did not except someone to be. My 4 wheeler was behind the tent, they saw the others leave, I had to use the portapotty. These two guys just about messed their drawers when I walked out of the tent especially with my pistol on my hip. They almost ran back to their truck and sent dirt flying as they left. They were arrested two days later for doing the same thing some where else. As I have stated else where, the sight of me packing a gun in plain sight has stopped two robberies back in the 70s.

Our climate out here is not very good for growing weed, but the remoteness is very good for portable meth labs and for places to deal. Again, the remoteness of our country makes for a very long response time for law enforcement when you get hold of them. Our firearms are for our protection from all types of possible dangers two and four legged and slithering.
    I hope you will understand that we feel we have the right to protect ourselves and our families, and property.

I don't want to make anyone mad, frightened to come visit or such. I apologize if I have, it was not my intent.

Thank You,

Byron

Copied this from another thread, says what I believe.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Its such a warm and fuzzy world to some people...but never forget ..a policemans job is NOT to protect you from harm.....his job is to apprehend someone that has ALREADY caused you harm or grief. Personally...I dont want the harm / grief to happen to me in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Its such a warm and fuzzy world to some people...but never forget ..a policemans job is NOT to protect you from harm.....his job is to apprehend someone that has ALREADY caused you harm or grief. Personally...I dont want the harm / grief to happen to me in the first place.

I love law enforcement officers!! They do a GREAT job!!...But when seconds count the police are only minutes away
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

Wow I guess I must have missed this thread (was busy fishing yesterday ). Well most all of the reasons I carry have already been posted so I do not have much to add. There is one other reason that was not mentioned is "because I want to".

Yes I have a CCW, no I have never had to use my weapon on the river (although I don't get low holed much ). In all my years carrying I have only ever had to draw my weapon once. When the police arrived the officer said to me "good thing you had that with you or I would be responding to a much different call".

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    In all my years carrying I have only ever had to draw my weapon once. When the police arrived the officer said to me "good thing you had that with you or I would be responding to a much different call".
    I got to ask. Were you the least bit nervous having to do so? For me I think I would be overwhelmed by the rush of adrenaline loosing focus and not being able to defuse or escalate the situation as warranted.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Vmabuck

You are not wrong.. to others, look beyond this thread you will notice the absence soon enough... It sucks beyond belief, It sucks as much as all the two legged reasons you all have to carry the CW's. It sucks as much as the two legged types that cause good people to leave these BBs .

I know how to shoot, but do not carry, I have a BFK and that is enough for now, may change my mind if I have to fish in the Midwest !!

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    This is exactly why they say no politics in here.

Although it is not technically a political discussion, it really is. I think we lost a very senior member of the board because people can't post respectfully.

You know who you are, good job...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfairwx View Post
    Vmabuck

You are not wrong.. to others, look beyond this thread you will notice the absence soon enough... It sucks beyond belief, It sucks as much as all the two legged reasons you all have to carry the CW's. It sucks as much as the two legged types that cause good people to leave these BBs .

I know how to shoot, but do not carry, I have a BFK and that is enough for now, may change my mind if I have to fish in the Midwest !!
    flyfishfairwx and Vmabuck,

Besides my momentary lose of good judgement for which I have made peace with the parties involved, this discussion has been very civil if not enlightening. Like the two of you I am sadden by the decision of John Scott to leave the bb. I do hope he reconsiders. But by and large the contribution to this thread has been very civil.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I got to ask. Were you the least bit nervous having to do so? For me I think I would be overwhelmed by the rush of adrenaline loosing focus and not being able to defuse or escalate the situation as warranted.
    I don't really want to hijack the thread so I will keep it short.

I was on my way to a friend’s house. I was in my truck driving and a car cut me off. I tapped my horn but that was it (nothing long and no finger/yelling). When I got to the next light it happened to be red and the car was in the left lane. It was a hot night (I was living in AZ at the time) so I had my window down. The people in the car kept staring at me, one yelled wassup. I did not reply. Then I heard the sound of the door open. Three people jumped out with baseball bats. I removed my 1911 from its holster and aimed at the closest person. They very quickly got back in their car and sped off. This was in the days before I had a cell phone (back in the pager days) so I went to the nearest pay phone and called 911.

Was I nervous at the time it went down no. But after I had some reflection time I was sure glad it did not end differently.

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    This is exactly why they say no politics in here.

Although it is not technically a political discussion, it really is. I think we lost a very senior member of the board because people can't post respectfully.

You know who you are, good job...

Was this the thread he was talking about in the PM? I did not read the whole thread so I did not see any "exchanges". But I agree that people should post respectfully as we did lose a senior member. The problem is that there always is that "keyboard commando" out there..............

Whatever happened to the old adage I had whipped on me about ANY subject in this forum....you know the old .."If you dont like the subject..then dont read it"

If someone stops visiting / posting, etc an internet BB because of the subject matter of ONE THREAD.....well...Id have to wonder about that individual

+ Reply to Thread