Cold,

I have never pulled my gun while on the stream (or any where else for that matter). I think you will find (and this was taught in my CCW class) that most Law abiding people will do whatever necessary to NOT use a gun. For me to fire my weapon at someone, it will have to be me or my family / friends life at stake. I'm not going to pull my weapon at someone breaking into my car (I'll be ready to in case they come at me when I confront them about stealing my stuff) - But my car / my fishing gear / my wallet is not worth taking someones life. If I shoot someone, it going to cost me plenty. There will be an investagion, there will probably be court, there will be much time off from work..& I'm not going to turn my life over to some court appointed lawyer…Its going to cost me / my family plenty. And that is not to mention the emotional scarring living with the incident running through my mind over and over. So I agree that that stats are skewed. As the saying goes "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."
Also 100% of current LEO (Law enforcement officers) that I have spoken with prefer law-abiding citizens to be armed & have encouraged the CCW class.

Brannon