+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha tyin' lately

Default Whatcha tyin' lately

Just curious as to what you all have been tying lately. I've been working on stuff for a trip to south MO so I've been working on the usual midges, glo balls, PTN's, HEN's, san juan worms, sculpins, leeches, slumpbusters, nomads, and some soft hackles. I know I'm not the only one that ties in wild streaks and goes completely crazy when the mood really hits.

Steve

I just started fly fishing last June, with a set of ancient flies my father tied back when men were men and had to wrestle their catch of the day from the cave bears , and only started tying a few months ago. Given that, I've been trying to build up both skills and a basic set of classic, proven flies to fill my boxes with. Gold Ribbed Hare's Ears, Pheasant Tails, Buggers, etc. in the various sizes I'm going to need. I'm also trying to fill a couple of boxes for him since my enthusiasm has dragged him back into this wonderful obsession/sport. In the course of this, I've been buying various "bread and butter" materials and learning how to work with them, which has been very fun and often exciting, although my first attempt at tying an Adams had to be dragged out behind the wood shed and shot.

Cold Guest

Was tying the bucktails pictured on another thread here until a few days back when I started cranking out flies for the two swaps I'm in: dries and bass flies (currently white/pink/orange/black clousers, with crawfish as the second fly, most likely).

I've been filling my boxes and replacing the beaten up patterns left behind from last season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woolly Buggers for the Frying Pan River tomorrow. Olive Hares Ears, Red JuJu Midges, Soft Hackles, and egg paterns for the Roaring Fork aswell.

clousers, polar shrimp, FEB hoppers, mickey finns, adams, para adams, BWO, GRHE, PTN, among others

I've been learning to tie Clousers and Crazy Charlies for a trip to Mexico. Salt water fishing is new to me but I think I'm going to enjoy it and apply whatever I learn to fishing the Chesapeake Bay when I get back. I keep thinking that both of those patterns will be handy to have for crappie fishing here in the spring - tied in the right colors and sizes of course. At some point I need to start tying for spring bluegill fishing here in Virginia. The lake behind the house thawed out about half-way today so spring can't be too far away. Last year I was already catching fish by now! I've got a foam cricket imitation I use that bluegill seem to hate with a vengeance, so pretty soon I'll start tying them.

Greybeard

Hi SteveP,

Currently I am tying stimulators for a trip to New Mexico this summer.

Regards,

Gandolf

Been steadily filling a box with size 6 Clouser minnows for white bass and crappie here in a month or so. Also tying them in size 4 and 1/0, with a few 10's thrown in for good measure. I've also tied up some 1/16 and 1/32 oz jigs for heated dock fishing, which has kept me out of the house and not into the asylum. Right now I'm tying up different variations of some bluegill flies to stock up for the Kansas bluegill fish-in. Simple, yet different, fish catchers... That's where it's at!

Default Soft-Hackle Wet Flies, & Soft-Hackle Salmon Flies

I am dressing hooks for the upcoming annual Rush River Clean-up, in Ellsworth WI.

I am doing some simple Soft-Hackle Wet Flies, using Rayon Thread, for the body wrap. JoAnn Fabric has it in so many colors and shades. Rayon thread is strong, and I believe it is easier to handle than Rayon Floss, with none of the stray fibers of the Floss. I am using the hackle guide on page 98 of Sylvester Nemes book "The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict".

I am mostly using hen hackle and pheasant. I am also using bags of "Almond Pheasant" that is available at JoAnn Fabrics, very similar to the Ring-neck Pheasant Church Window Hackle.

The Soft-Hackle Salmon Flies are size 8 and 6, for Smallmouth Bass, where I also add a tail to to pattern. I do not believe that there is any rule that says a angler cannot use a Salmon Hook to catch a Smallmouth Bass! I also use the Rump Feathers on the the Salmon Hooks for a different look for Soft-Hackle Salmon Hook Smallmouth Bass Flies.

Next I will be dressing some of Gartside's "Wet Mouse" using the after-shafts from the pheasant feathers, along with more Pheasant Rump Feathers, Smallmouth Bass love those also.

Parnelli

If your not tying, your not trying!

+ Reply to Thread