+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishers that deer hunt.

Hybrid View

Default Fly Fishers that deer hunt.

I got the thinking this morning about how i need a travel rod to put in my hunting pack or just find a way to put my bow in my ff vest Then I got the thinking and I want to know how many of you deer hunt or do any type of hunting.

Deer, Antelope, Elk, Sometimes Moose, oh yea and fish. There is a three forks three piece rod under the back seat of the truck, reel and flies in a fish bag there also just in case the hunting isn't going so well.

Also do some coyote and rabbit, especially jackrabbit as I use their fur for tying and they are listed as predators here.
    In their more plentiful years,about every 5 years, they can destroy a haystack in real short order.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 02-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Gave up deer hunting long ago...but "bird" hunted for years till my Brittanys got old and passed away.

Archery and rifle for deer, and love small game hunting.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

I hunt deer, pheasants, quail, a few squirrels and rabbits, and of course turkeys in the spring time. Almost all of this is either on my farm or with in a few miles of it. I have been bear hunting and harvested 2 bears with a muzzle loader and have been elk hunting once with a lot of delicious elk meat to show for it. I use some of the deer hide and kept a little of the elk for flies along with feathers and tails and fur from all the rest. I use many of the turkey feathers to make my own cedar arrows. I carry at least 2 fly rods with me all spring and summer and fish most lunch hours in near by ponds for bass, bluegills, crappies, and catfish with all those flies that I tie from all that other stuff. All in all it is a pretty good system, I think.

I forgot to add
    Sully get yourself out and get another Britt whether you want to hunt birds again or not. They just make life sooooo much more bearable!!

Lifelong hunter. Primarily archery & alot of turkey hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaker1 View Post
    I forgot to add
    Sully get yourself out and get another Britt whether you want to hunt birds again or not. They just make life sooooo much more bearable!!
    I know it! First one died in '95....last one in 98...still miss them something terrible.

I hunt anything with feathers, but primarily waterfowl. September doves all the way to May gobblers! We're getting ready to chase snow geese right now...

I bowhunt and do some rifle hunting here in PA.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread