In July, stripers and bluefish and mackerel should be present. along with small pollock. An intermediate would work , though the water is cold in Maine-tropic lines will act stiff and be coily. I highly reccomend Capt. John Ford , His company is called Potland Guide Service and can be found on the website of the same name. He's a great guy, and not only can he take you out on Casco Bay out of South Portland, he'll tell you a number of places to shore fish that are very good. I'm not going to burn any of my spots on the net-Maine doesn't have the best shore access. An 8 wt. is perfect, stripping basket is very helpful and a sinking line 5-7 inch per second sink rate would be good. Clousers in chartreuse and white and golden tan and white in size 2 thru 2/0 would about cover all bases. Throw in a couple of white deceivers.
A couple of places that produce alot of fish- Marginal way in Ogunquit, Nubble Light, and Higgins beach on the mouth of the Scarborough River. Reid State Park and Hermit Island further north are good , too. Plan to fish at first light, the tourists are thick at that time of year.

Charlie