+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presentation fly holder?

Default Presentation fly holder?

You're tying at a show and you want to show off your finished flies, how do you display them and pass them around so that other tiers can examine them during your demo? I have seen some just pass around the fly, others put them in forceps and still others put them in this type thingy, which I really don't know what it's called. I think it is an "electronics wire something or another" (how did you like that technical jargon?).

Two questions, what do you call this thing if I go to a Radio Shack and ask for it. Next is there something better to hold finished flies for inspection. I have used one of those extendable magnets in the past as well. With the Electronic thingies, I have seen some drill holes in a wooden block and the insert them vertically to hold a series of finished flies.

Open to ideas???

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use plain old alligator clips that I mount into a wooden block. Since I hardly ever tie anything smaller than a #10 this works out fine. If your tying smaller stuff the clip that you show would work better. Sorry I can't help with the name of the thing.

Kevin

Default electronic thingy

I purchased 4 of those things. Drilled holes in a block and use them to display and sometimes to let flies dry. They are used to test connections in wiring. The clip end goes on whatever you are testing and a wire can be inserted in the other end. I got mine about 3 year ago at Radio Shack and can't remeber the exact name. Just describe to the clerk what they do and look like.

just tell them it's a plastic spring-loaded wire-grabbing clippy thingie. Or print a picture.

Cold Guest

Default Test Clips

They are test clips and can be found at Radio Shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post

Cool, also found these now that I had the above link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062221

So does everyone think that a few of these would make a nice way to pass things around at a demo?

I can't remember anything better for demos, but thought that I would ask the collective group before I spent a few bucks and then found something better. Thanks for the quick help. This site is the greatest.

Rick

Don't forget they are often used as hackle pliers.

Normand Guest

take a look at this link

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/trade-cla...ps-stands.html

i cannot see the pictures at work (company i work for blocks alot of sites) but i think the blocks are what you are asking for. this will give you some ideas on what to GOOGLE or even for the DIY.

I have a block of wood with a dozen holes drilled in it to fit the test clips. I keep my pattern flies in them. I have a few spare clips that I use to pass around flies that I have just completed, allowing everyone to get a good look at the fly. Kids shows usually get the flies that I tie during the shows. If you give away the flies, have a few containers available to put them in.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread