+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting foam strips

Default cutting foam strips

Is there an easy way to cut foam strips? I've tried paper cutters, razor blades, rotary cutter, etc. Gotta be a better way.

I use the old school papercutter in my classroom. Pull down the big blade and shhhhnnniick, it's cut. I can cut 'em thick or thin. Haven't had any problems, other than the fact that the stupid thing is marked in 1/2" gradations, and no markings near the blade. I just mark the edges of the foam at the cut line.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I've got an inexpensive paper cutter (Fiskars) with a rotary blade that works great. Only issue with it is when I cut fairly thin strips - they tend to roll up in the cutter; just start the cut an inch away from the end, then work that last section backwards.

Regards,
    Scott

If you are not wanting to cut a bunch of strips you might want to take a long flat bladed kitchen knife and lay the foam on a flat board, place the sharp knife to the desired width and apply downward pressure until through the foam. The knife I use is a Case XX 483-8.
    I can strips to most any width and to 5 inches long.

WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!

Tim

I use the blades that they make for wall paper strippers / paint scrapers. They are about 4"-5" long and do a really good job at cutting strips. Costs a few bucks for a 5 or 6 pack at H.Depot

Kevin

Smile

a straight edge and & exacto

Normand Guest

scissors always works for me. precision for me is not critical for tying foam flies!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I've got an inexpensive paper cutter (Fiskars) with a rotary blade that works great. Only issue with it is when I cut fairly thin strips - they tend to roll up in the cutter; just start the cut an inch away from the end, then work that last section backwards.

Regards,
    Scott
    I'll sure be going to one of those. Ive watched my wife use one on fabrics...slick as a whistle.

I just use a scissors. Most of the time the strip will only need to be maybe 3" long, right? At that length close is good enough. I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method. (Keep it simple, stupid!)

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    scissors always works for me. precision for me is not critical for tying foam flies!
    Karen, I'm with Normand. I just use my pair of serrated tying scissors and cut away.
    I've found that the fewer specialty tools I can get away with the better. Besides, I usually can't find what I need on my desk anyway.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread