+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bald Eagle

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Bald Eagle

While I was out digging out from the latest dose of global warming I got a special treat. We have several pairs of nesting Bald Eagles in the area that frequent the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers.

There I am shoveling snow with the neighbor when for some reason I stopped and looked up into the still snowing, stormy sky. Overhead, flying low, was one of our local Bald Eagles. I see them often when i am out fishing or hiking but they never cease to amaze me!

Made weathering the storm and cleanup worthwhile.

Kind of like this one? They beautiful birds!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wyo-Blizzard

It's actually just about mating season for them right now in this part of the world. February is the month you're most likely to aerobatic courting displays, which can be magnificent.

I was fishing my local stream last fall, and had a bald eagle fishing the same stretch as me all afternoon -- usually a hundred or so feet up or downstream. At one point, he decided to fly upstream past me at about 5 feet off the water. I could have poked it with my rod, it was that close (Even if I would do such thing, it would have broken the rod.) It was the closest I've ever been to one, and was just slightly scary.

My other hobby is flying radio controlled sailplanes; once in a contest I got to share a thermal with an eagle for a whole ten minute flight. That was way cool, too.
    Bob

Last week I witnessed 3 feasting on a deer carcass out on the ice of the Connecticut River
    I see them regularly this time of year, but that was a first for me.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Great Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    Kind of like this one? They beautiful birds!
    That's a great shot. What camera and lens did you use to shoot it?

Snow clear down to the Gulf of Mexico...
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

LastChance, I was using my old Olympus mod 740 with a 10x optical zoom, 3.1, I think, megapixal.
    It is no longer made and has been retired because of much damage do to many drops, snow, cold, etc. It even went to China with me. I now use a Nikon Coolpix P80.
    That pic was at the Elk Feedground/Refuge at JacksonHole, Wyo.

Had about 1/2 inch today, we could really use some more here, Snow that is. I would gladly send some wind to whom ever wants some!!

We are graced with SEEDSKADEE (sp) Bird Refuge on the Green River, where several pairs of Bald Eagles nest every year, also used to have a pair stopping thru on the Big Sandy where our camp was. They got friendly enough to take offerinfgs left out for them, some guts from game we harvested. We made sure that it was placed at least 30 or 40 yds. from camp and across the river. Brilliant minds that we have, we never thought of pics
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 02-13-2010 at 02:38 AM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

There is a pair of them that hang out on the Elk River here in WV. Luckily I have seen them throughout the whole year. They are amazing creatures. I actually got to watch one swoop down and catch a fish, very cool.

Thumbs up

On the east end of Lake Coeur d'Alene, between early December and late January there is an annual gathering of both Bald Eagles as well as Golden Eagles. They gather to feed on spawning Kokanee Salmon in the lake. Sometimes there are only a few and sometimes there are over 150. I'll try to get some pictures up. Best Regards....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joel D. Popham; 02-14-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

We got a bald Eagle on the Farmington last spring, the rotten feathered beast ate trout like he was at an all you can eat buffet.

+ Reply to Thread