+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fly Box of Choice?

Default Dry Fly Box of Choice?

What kind of flyboxes do you all use for your dry flies? I've tried so many of the foam and newer boxes, but always come back to the standard compartment boxes like the Dewitt's. Mainly because I hate getting my dry hackles mashed and matted down. What do you all use?

Cliff Day's Worth boxes. I have one for mayflies, one for caddis. For bigger attractors/hoppers/terrestrials I use plastic boxes from craft store and glue in slotted craft foam.

Regards,
    Scott

I use the standard C&F box with the additional page - holds 564 flies.
    Here is a pic at the link. Kind of pricey, but I've picked up all of mine on sale at half or less over the years. There are also some knock-offs for around 12 bucks out there.
    http://www.ezflyfish.com/cfdes12roww1.html

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I use the same C&F boxes that kglissmeyer uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    I use the same C&F boxes that kglissmeyer uses.
    I cant afford them there $$$ fly boxes. I just carry mine around in a clear plastic bag...

Blog Entries

Plano Stowaway 4 and 6 compartment clear plastic boxes. $1.36 at the local Wal-mart.

Couple buddies using those C&F boxes. I don't care for the way the bottom of the hackles push down on them though. Is there a trick to them?

I use two wheatley swing leaf boxes. I can fit more flies in this box than any other I tried so far. I've seen a waterproof swing leaf at Wallys that has me curious though.

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

I use the Flambeau Box.

I love it, the box has a rubber seal all the way around so when it closes no water can enter in case it is dropped. I did a test by leaving in a sink for about 1hr. Also it is small and compact, so if I want to go light it will fit in my shirt pocket, or wader pouch.

It can hold a ton of flies, enough for me anyway for a days outing. Hackles do not get squished at all. I think this box ran about $25 at Bass Pro Shops here in Canada.

Here are some pics:

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Couple buddies using those C&F boxes. I don't care for the way the bottom of the hackles push down on them though. Is there a trick to them?
    Hook in the slit and the hackles hang free without touching anything - back end first as in this photo. Some flies that have a palmered hackle will get them mashed, but traditional hackled dry flies stay quite nice:

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread