+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best catch and release method

Default Best catch and release method

There are a lot of catch and release tools out there these days such as Kechum hook release , Lippa tools , rubber landing net's and other's. What do you think is the best or most effective tool and or method to aid in the landing and release of a trout?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    There are a lot of catch and release tools out there these days such as Kechum hook release , Lippa tools , rubber landing net's and other's. What do you think is the best or most effective tool and or method to aid in the landing and release of a trout?
    I posted this a little while ago, simple but very effective, one of the BIG KEYS is to keep the fish in the water and keep the fight short and of course take the time needed to revive ..I know that is more then one BIG KEY but it is a complicated question in truth..

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=33845
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I use barbless hooks and lip the fish with my thumb and forefinger, slide the hook out (with a forceps when necessary) then slide the fish back into the water. I seldom use a net but I also seldom catch big fish.
    JW

Good topic. For me the first thing is to leave the fish in the water.

I agree with Rockthief, now growing up on warm water fish you just grab the bottom lip but trout have those aggravating little teeth. Has anyone ever used on of those thumb covers on a zinger? It appears to be leather.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thump the fish on the head wit my big buck knife handle, and release it into my creel!

Seriously, I always wet my hands well prior to handling a fish. If the net comes out, it is kept wet and I do my best to keep the fish in the water while removing the hook. I usually have no problems with hooks as they are barbless. If the hook is well anchored, I'll turn the fish upsidedown (usually they will settle right down upon inverting them) and remove the hook with smooth forceps. I also believe in a keeping the fight time to a minimum. I get really frustrated with those who "showboat" fish into a lactic stupor. EGOs and ignorance are a trout two worst enemies on the river!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

With trout I do two things that help with a healthy release.

Keep the fish in the water.

And never touch it with my hands.

I pull the fish within reach, grab the fly with my forceps, and one quick flip and the fish swims away.

Sometimes I damage a fly...I have lots of those. Sometimes I accidently cut the tippet...again I have lots of flies and the fly will fall out of the fish quickly anyway.

I don't do this for the fish though. It's nice that it keeps them healthy and all that, but I'm primarily concerend with keeping that yucky fish slime and the attendant stink off of me...I don't ever net a trout that I'm not going to kill.

With bass I just lip them, unhook them, and put them back.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Wet your hands....cradle the fish as gently as possible.....and stop overthinking things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    Thump the fish on the head wit my big buck knife handle, and release it into my creel!

Seriously, I always wet my hands well prior to handling a fish. If the net comes out, it is kept wet and I do my best to keep the fish in the water while removing the hook. I usually have no problems with hooks as they are barbless. If the hook is well anchored, I'll turn the fish upsidedown (usually they will settle right down upon inverting them) and remove the hook with smooth forceps. I also believe in a keeping the fight time to a minimum. I get really frustrated with those who "showboat" fish into a lactic stupor. EGOs and ignorance are a trout two worst enemies on the river!

aa
    aa

I absolutely love your last line it is filled with so much truth that it hurts..it could be the opening line on any good speech on trout handling. May I use it ?
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

I am a strong advocate for fillet and release!

At least with salmon...

+ Reply to Thread