Like the rest of you, I enjoyed Roger's "Native Waters" Episode on Fly Fish America, and eagerly look forward to the next segment. My only regret is that it too will be to short, and there are only two episodes. I guess thats two regrets, huh?

A couple of folks have asked some Pow Wow questions on the other threads, so, as an old Pow Wow singer and dancer, I thought I'd try to answer them here.

The Indian Days celebration is a Pow Wow. Contrary to what the movies would have you believe, this is not a conference, but a celebration of life and good health, featuring singing, dancing and feasting. Sometime these went on for days on end.

The dancers who were wearing numbers attached to their regalia (as opposed to costumes) were entered in dance competitions in various dance catagories.

The dance catagories for men are traditional, grass and fancy. These catagories are also broken down according to age. For women, there are traditional, fancy shawl and jungle dress catagories. Also further segemented according to age.

The singers (those sitting at the drums) can also compete in contests, but are usually paid a small amout for gas and fed very well during the celebration.

There are Pow Wows across "Turtle Island", most are open to the public and non'native people are welcomed and invited to participate during "Inter-tribal" dancing. At Pow Wow there is usually a strict no drugs/alchohol policy enforced by tribal police or a men's society, and therefore are family friendly.

For those that really enjoyed the singing and drumming I'd like to suggest an internet radio station for you. [url=http://www.gatheringofnations/gonradio/:c9ee3]www.gatheringofnations/gonradio/[/url:c9ee3]
This internet radio station features all types of native music from modern rap and raggae tunes, to traditional flute music and Pow Wow singing and drumming.

Roger, could it be that you and Joe have created another thin spot for some folks?

Ron Eagle Elk