I go down there every year in July. The snook on the beach are spooky but they can be caught once you figure them out. Staying out of the water was good advice unless you see a school coming a little farther out. In general they will be single or pairs of fish and will be within feet of the waters edge so if you're walking knee deep you'll miss/spook most of them. Wear good sunglasses and look for anything slightly out of the ordinary that appears to be moving. I caught all mine there so far on deceivers. Either all white or olive over white, the big ones, size 2/0 worked for me but smaller ones produced too. The real trick is finding the right spot to cast, too close and you spook them, but theres so much bait around that too far away and they don't pay attention.

Getting there early is also good advice, but it makes them a little harder to spot. The sun comes up behind you this way, which means the beach and water is all shadowed by the buildings along the beach. They are easier to see when the sunlight makes it to the water, but this is also about the times the crowds show up. In July at least, the beach still has plenty of open areas if you don't mind walking a bit to get away from the swimmers. The area down near the end of the island with the rock jetties always has some fish around it. There are usually some snapper and mackerel hanging around the first jetty you get to if the tides are right.