+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone in June?

Hybrid View

Default Yellowstone in June?

I will be in Yellowstone during the first week of June. I have been there before and I'm fairly familiar with the waters, but all of my previous visits were in September. I can imagine that the water conditions are very different in June, almost like a different place.

I have studied the fishing regulations on the park site, and I'm aware that the general fishing season opens the Saturday before I will be there, but there are many, many listed exceptions to the general rule. I have also reviewed the "Great Rivers" section on this site, but I still have questions.

Obviously, spring runoff could make some of the waters I have fished look like new streams. Can anyone give me advice on what streams are open to fishing *and* not blown out by spring runoff? What about effective flies (my September fishing has been dominated by hoppers and other terrestrials)? What's the weather like there in early June?

Many thanks.

Flyflinger

I was there the first week in June a few years ago. It is actually a great time to be there since the crowds tend to start a little later. We got there on the 5th of June and there was a little traffic. By the 14th of June the roads were crowded.

I fished the Firehole and some tributaries mostly. The water there is a little warmer that time of year and runoff is limited.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Early in the season, the Firehole is one of the best places to fish.

It's possible depending on snow melt that the Gibbon and Madison are fishable. I wouldn't count on them though.

http://www.parksflyshop.com/seasons.htm

Great resource!

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger View Post
    I will be in Yellowstone during the first week of June. I have been there before and I'm fairly familiar with the waters, but all of my previous visits were in September. I can imagine that the water conditions are very different in June, almost like a different place.

I have studied the fishing regulations on the park site, and I'm aware that the general fishing season opens the Saturday before I will be there, but there are many, many listed exceptions to the general rule. I have also reviewed the "Great Rivers" section on this site, but I still have questions.

Obviously, spring runoff could make some of the waters I have fished look like new streams. Can anyone give me advice on what streams are open to fishing *and* not blown out by spring runoff? What about effective flies (my September fishing has been dominated by hoppers and other terrestrials)? What's the weather like there in early June?

Many thanks.

Flyflinger
    If you do a search on some of the West Yellowstone MT guide services...almost all of them have up to the minute river reports and "summer predictions" of the streams. Jacklin; Bud Lilly; Craig Mathews...etc.

Duck Creek north of W. Yellowstone. Supposed to be bears there but never saw one in a dozen or more trips. browns and rainbow from hebgon that time of year.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I did an early june trip a few years back. Firehole was the spot to be. PMDs (throw in a few pink ones and you'll have a blast.

Much of the east side of the park is closed until july for the cutts to spawn, so you can forget the Yellowstone river.

I took a day trip over to the Henry's Fork and had a good time there also.
    Last edited by iso; 02-10-2010 at 03:39 AM.

This year, the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison will all almost certainly be fishable, with the Firehole at its best, in early June. The Gardner and the Yellowstone below the falls --which always opens with the general season, unlike the section above the falls-- are possibilities, especially if you like streamers and big nymphs.

If you have a belly boat, bring it. If the ice is off Lewis Lake you can get some nice browns and lake trout near the outlet.

The link to my site already given above will help.

I forgot, one great resource is the "Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide" by Craig Mathews. It is broken down by areas and has a lot of good info and maps. It can be had on Amazon.com for about $12.00.

I also fished the Gibbon, north of the the Norris/Canyon road, up to Little Gibbon Falls. This is a poorly marked trailhead and a very lightly used trail, but well worth the trip. The fish are smallish, but the scenery and wildlife are great. If you go here, wear your wading boots because the trail is marshy. We saw more bear scat on this trail than anywhere this side of Alaska, but didn't see any bears. Make sure you go all the way to Little Gibbon Falls. One of the most peaceful places in the park.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Default Here you go:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...tone/part1.php

Scroll down to Bob Jacklin's article on late May/early June in the Park.

Default Many thanks!

Many thanks to all who replied! This is terrific information, just what I was looking for. Count on the readership of FAOL to know - and share - the inside info.

Flyflinger

+ Reply to Thread