+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's for lunch - not exactly FF.

Hybrid View

Default What's for lunch - not exactly FF.

As the winter is slowly coming to the end (I hope) and I?m getting ready for new season my mind keeps on wandering to things that are to come and also things in the past. And when it comes to fishing this Polak cannot help but to start thinking about? food.
    My wife and I usually go out fishing for quite a few hours so most of the time we need to pack lunch.
    We are both on the low fat, low cholesterol, low sugar, low sodium, low spice diet also known as ?Eating Food That Taste Like Woodchips Diet? so our choices are bit limited. Thus far we usually bring few sandwiches, some fruit or snack and few drinks in the cooler but to be honest this is getting bit old, not to mention that sometimes we are out of sandwich making supplies or we stay longer without being prepared and this can put a damper on things?
    For a minute there I have considered carrying some foods prepared for hikers ? like dehydrated foods but you need to have hot water to prep them and I rather not have a stove of the boat - the darn thing is too small as is?
    I have also considered getting some MRE?s but these things are just way to rich in calories ? our lifestyle just does not go along the lines of 5000 calories a day?
    So the question is: what do you pack for lunch?
    I?m sure that in the combined wisdom of everyone here I will not have to go fishing hungry?
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

We just had a camping thread going on here so this kind of fits in, too. I keep a half case of MRE's on board the camper at all times. They come 12 meals to a case and the place that packs them up is just up the road aways and when I head for the mountains they are an easy stop for me ~

http://www.mreinfo.com/

Although the MRE's are aboard the camper and real easy to heat up, usually we do planned meals with some of those meals already coming from home and just requiring to be heated up. We'll also stop by a grocery store en route for fresh items.

Blog Entries

HAHAHAH

well you asked for it, but and there is always a but, when I am on the river I do not I will type it again do not want to skimp on the calories, right now it is still damn cold so need calories, and in the spring, summer,fall need calories to power through a long day!!

so here it is, mind you this is an overview not brought all at once..

Beef Jerky, sardines, smoked oysters, cheese, crackers, big lumber jack sandwiches, wraps with turkey/Bologna/ham/beef/cheese, tomato,lettuce,dressing, boiled eggs, water, gatoraide, beer/whiskey, jagermiester, chocolate, Wirthers soft caramel, hard candy, power bars but not those flaky light weight ones,HOW THE HEDOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS did I forget the Skittles, I love skittles..

Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 02-09-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Forgot the friggin skittles!!!!!
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

For a normal day, maybe four to six hours of fishing, a banana and apple on the way to the creek.

Some time during the day, a peanut butter and jam sandwich on whole wheat bread and several whole wheat and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ( use the "oatmeal and raisins" cookie recipe found in the lid of the Quaker Oats barrels but substitute one cup of whole wheat flour for one cup of all purpose flour, and about a cup and a half of chocolate chips for the cup of raisins ).

If there aren't any cookies in the freezer, a Nature Valley Oats and Honey granola bar, or two.

Afterwards, some chips or nuts, depending on what was available when I was getting the gear together, or, on rare occasion a brownie, if I'm really lucky.

John
    The fish are always right.

Smile Hmmmmmm ......

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfairwx View Post
    ...Beef Jerky, sardines, smoked oysters, cheese, crackers, big lumber jack sandwiches, wraps with turkey/Bologna/ham/beef/cheese, tomato,lettuce,dressing, boiled eggs, water, gatoraide, beer/whiskey, jagermiester, chocolate, Wirthers soft caramel, hard candy, power bars but not those flaky light weight ones...
    Ray -

I was just reviewing my passport application. I'm thinking you need to start laying in some extra portions of all those goodies you listed !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Ray -

I was just reviewing my passport application. I'm thinking you need to start laying in some extra portions of all those goodies you listed !!

John
    Not a problem, will fire up the smoker and get at it...

Man I am looking forward to getting to Montana..

A little off topic, but what is the web address for the Fish and game, so I can research the cost of a license, rules etc...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Default At WalMart

Find the Tropical Trail Mix. Buy 2 because you will inhale the 1st one.
    Reclosable bag, good stuff. Trav says I'm addicted, but he's the one who gave it to me in the first place. Not cheap, but boy is it good.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfairwx View Post
    Not a problem, will fire up the smoker and get at it...

Man I am looking forward to getting to Montana..

A little off topic, but what is the web address for the Fish and game, so I can research the cost of a license, rules etc...
    http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/

Regards,
    Scott

Default Choke & Slide?

Whats a choke and slide you ask. Thats what we call a peanut putter & Jelly/jam sandwich. The peanut better causes you to choke & then the jelly takes over and it slides right on down.

Several comments:

1. Trail Mix: Here in K Falls you can buy bags of tropical and other mixes for a buck at the dollar store. Like Lady Fisher says get a couple as they are tasty.

2. Worried about your sodium. If you can go for fresh ground peanust butter. No additives, etc. Look at the ingredients on a jar of a name brand and you would think you are being poisoned.

3. Can your own fish, leave the salt out and make sandwiches out of them. Less sodium and down right tasty.

Tim

Apple on the way, a couple of power bars on stream, nuts and jerky back at the car with a gatorade. Yum.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread