+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teton Reels..

Default Teton Reels..

Speaking of Teton Reels....

I found out the owner of Teton just lives about 20 miles or so from me!! They had a booth at the local B.U.F.F. flyfishing show but the owner himself wasnt there. His "right hand man" was standing in for him. Seems VERY recently he was in a SERIOUS auto wreck...and while he suffered minor injuries the doc's gave him Vicodin for the pain. And he told his buddy he didnt want to be there....sitting on a chair and drooling and being all "ga-ga"......but he is healing nicely. Seems those airbags can really slap you around when they explode..???

Before I forget..I was told directly that the "old" Teton and the new Teton reels..DO NOT interchange spools with the Tioga series.

Where to buy a new one?? Seems he took a few to Cabela's to see if they would handle / sell them and Cabelas loved them. Said they would handle them on one condition...they wanted EVERY ONE he had made!! He is presently seeking additional machining sources so he can get the out available to everyone / anyone.
    Last edited by Sully; 02-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Got an older model Teton "5" that I've had for awhile ~ been a pretty decent reel. I had wondered what had happened to the company. The reel has a couple of nicks in the frame where I suddenly dropped the rod and reel on some rocks. Seems I was fishing in the western North Carolina mountains when a thunderstorm came up - I heard it coming my way with all the rumblings and such. About that time I started getting all kinds of hits and I put off getting out of that stream until the edge of the storm was on me. Lightning and thunder and rain ... and a clap of lightning hit close by and that graphite rod actually started humming and I dropped it like a hot potato!

Ah, yes ... the fly fishing lessons keep unfolding.

Cold Guest

And he told his buddy he didnt want to be there....sitting on a chair and drooling and being all "ga-ga"......but he is healing nicely. Seems those airbags can really slap you around when they explode..???
    Gaga?

And yes, they give you quite a smack to the face.

Before I forget..I was told diorectly that the "old" Teton and the new Teton reels..DO NOT interchange spools with the Tioga series.
    Just so I'm not misunderstanding: what you are saying is that the "Teton" spools, old or new, are not interchangeable with the "Tioga" frames? If so, that isn't really new information, as the old lines did not have interchangeable spools either.

The question on my mind is: are the new Teton spools interchangeable with the old Teton frames? And are the new Tioga spools interchangeable with the old Tioga frames? If you happened to ask this specific pair of questions, I'd be interested to hear what was said. I've looked at the mechanical drawings for the Tetons and they look to use the same connections as the old ones, which would suggest that within the product line, they might be back-compatible...though I doubt they'd back a warranty claim from any older frames, and the easiest way to avoid muddying the waters is to say they're NOT officially compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    The question on my mind is: are the new Teton spools interchangeable with the old Teton frames? And are the new Tioga spools interchangeable with the old Tioga frames? If you happened to ask this specific pair of questions, I'd be interested to hear what was said. I've looked at the mechanical drawings for the Tetons and they look to use the same connections as the old ones, which would suggest that within the product line, they might be back-compatible...though I doubt they'd back a warranty claim from any older frames, and the easiest way to avoid muddying the waters is to say they're NOT officially compatible.
    The only reason I mentioned spools NOT being interchangeable between Teton and Tiogas was because some on the BB here had asked before.

New VS old Tetons ARE interchangeable but there is no plans for a new line of TIOGA reels ( I was told that..but who knows it might change??)

From what I understand....no. The new reel offered is the Teton Classic. Very similar to the Tioga from the looks of it. I love the 2 tioga's that I have....glad to see them back.

Cold Guest

Yeah, I think I'm going to let the general public get their mitts on them first. Eventually someone will find out if they will/wont, in fact, work on the frame I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm going to let the general public get their mitts on them first. Eventually someone will find out if they will/wont, in fact, work on the frame I have.
    Geeze!!!!

+ Reply to Thread