+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CLASSIC FLIES - Neil - February 8, 2010

Blog Entries

Default CLASSIC FLIES - Neil - February 8, 2010

CLASSIC FLIES

I am constantly amazed at the plethora of the fly patterns that fill volumes of books, fill web pages, magazines, and CD's and DVD's. What's even more amazing is that someone, somewhere, even as I am writing this, is hunched over a fly tying vice concocting another new 'killer' pattern that is certain to revolutionize fly tying and forever change fly tying as we know it.
    Last edited by rtidd; 02-07-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Newcomers to fly fishing and fly tying are always asking the "if you only had one" questions. And when it comes to mayfly dry fly patterns, if I could only choose one, the Adams would be it. And many seasoned fly anglers would likely say the same thing.

Another point I'll add about this pattern is that you can tie it sparsely, moderately, and fully to give yourself even more options for matching hatches and water conditions. You can add a small post or wing of hi-viz yarn to make it more visible in various light condition. All from this one neutral-colored mayfly imitation, the minimalist can be set for the vast majority of your dry fly mayfly fishing needs.

In large sizes, I do put wings in all but the fullest ones I tie. 14 and smaller, I don't bother.

I literally carry about 1/2 a fly box full of nothing but Adams variations and sizes when I carry dry flies to the water.

Great article on what I consider the alpha and omega of mayfly dry fly patterns!

Red face The Adams

Flyguy66,

Thanks for the additions to my article. I tie the Adams in a number of different configurations, many like you mentioned. I have even tied it without a tail and in a parachute style to imiatate caddis flies. It is a very versatile pattern and one that has stood the test of time. No matter how long it has been around the fish still eat it.

Tight Lines,
    Neil

Default Adams

I always thought the original Adams WAS a caddis pattern. I skate it a lot to good effect when the caddis are around. Of course, it's a dandy mayfly too, and I think most today use it as a mayfly.

Though the Adams is a great example of old go-to patterns, there are lots of others. The Henryville Special leaps to mind, a fly I use all time. Others include Art Flick's Red Quill and lately I've been trying the Greenwell's Glory wet fly in a lot of situations too. The Light Cahill wet is a great fly in the early summer as well.

That combination of grizzly and brown hackle is a good one. Fran Betters recognized that with his Ausable Wulff, a combining of the Adams and Wulff, with Fran's own body and head colors.

Well done Neil!
    Eric

Well, Neil, you really got me inspired with that article about the Adams. Nobody writes about flies like the Adams or Pheasant Tail Nymph anymore. You have to add something sparkly or rubbery to it and call it by a different name. Then you can write an article about it!

So when I saw that this morning over the rim of my coffee mug, I enjoyed it so much it got my wheels spinning about all the ways I vary Adams flies and use them. And I realized there were a couple you had not mentioned. So I thought I'd share with your readers right quick just in case somebody might not have thought of one of them yet.

In fact, a lot of the stuff you write has a similar effect on me come to think of it. I really enjoy your column. It's one of the best "how to" spots on the worldwide fly fishing web.

I carry way to many patterns. Your article got me to thinking about what I would do if I could carry only 6 patterns for a year. Here's my list:
    Adams
    RS2
    Hopper (Charlie Boy)
    Infamous Pink Worm
    Egg
    Muddler Minnow

That would mean giving up on some more specialized patterns that have been very effective for me, but I wouldn't feel handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I carry way to many patterns. Your article got me to thinking about what I would do if I could carry only 6 patterns for a year. Here's my list:
    Adams
    RS2
    Hopper (Charlie Boy)
    Infamous Pink Worm
    Egg
    Muddler Minnow

That would mean giving up on some more specialized patterns that have been very effective for me, but I wouldn't feel handicapped.
    I think we could all boil our trout fly boxes down to a 1/2 dozen to 10 fly patterns in various sizes and no more than 3 variants and be just fine. It's just a matter of picking multi-purpose proven performers. And flies like the Adams are definitely on the short list. But think how boring fly tying would be if that's all we did.

+ Reply to Thread