+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: earing up for the flats

Thumbs up

Thanks Gerri,

Actually, I am looking at the TFO rods. These will be 2-3 trips per year rods and we DO bring spares for the group.

I use a TFO rod for big trout and am really impressed.

Deanna had me try a Reddington product a few years ago too and I was impressed with the brand.

I'm still looking to gear up with a DH rod this year too, so I won't be out to dump +600$ per rod for the salt.

Question, ... in your personal opinion, is the TiCr X a relatively fast rod with enough in the butt?(that's what I'm looking for).
    Christopher Chin

Hi Chris,
    Yes, I do feel that the TFO rods are relatively fast rods but I am not expert enough to evaluate the extent of functionality of the rod butt section. All I can tell you is that the equipment met my criteria as faras price range,durability and my own personal enjoyment in using and especially in casting with it. To me the gear is comfortable to use. THE GUIDE we used when we were fishing for tarpon loved the 10wt outfit with the XSS reel and was surprised at the quality of the reel. My 8 wt outfit was purchased at an Orvis shop in Titusville,Fla.(Mosquito Lagoon/Indian River..redfish mecca). Guide's name is Captain John Tarr out of the Flyfisherman Shop. Super nice guy who really could not have been more patient with a trout fisherperson trying to learn saltwater techniques. Good luck in making your choices.

Thumbs up

Thanks Gerri.
    I'm having some rods rigged up for me so I can test 'em out. From what I've seen and heard, the casting and presentation isn't quick what I'm used to.

On a salmon pool, I'll sometimes take 10-15 minutes to watch a fish, measure out my line, set up and lay down a presentation. Apparently, ... it's not quite like that for Bonz

(does it sound like I'm getting excited ??
    Christopher Chin

The TiCr X is a fast action rod, but not a broomstick, with fairly powerful butt section compared most of the competition in it price range. This applies to all the TiCr X models I have tried. I know a couple of very experienced anglers who after trying the 8wt TiCr X, started using it instead of other 9wt models because it was a bit lighter to cast but had enough muscle in the butt section for really putting the heat on hooked fish. I already had 5 8wt rods when I tried the 8wt TiCrX so I coudn't come up with a reason to buy one.

Glad that Tailingloop jumped in here to help eval the TiCr X. I am responding to the casting techniques of saltwater. Oneof the toughest aspects for me was that in salt, there is no time to false cast because the shadows
    can spook the fish. The casting must be accurate and fast. Don't strip your line in completely and leave about 15 to20 feet in/on the water before you pick up to begin a forward cast. I had to practice a lot during the winter months
    using a hula hoop to try to improve my accuracy.

Many thanks!!!

I know what y'all mean ... Rods have improved so much over the past 20 years. A rod can be med-fast and cut a tight loop without being a broom stick! So far, I've been pretty impressed with the TFO products. I tried a bunch of 'em and I own an Axiom for big trout (in a 6wt). The Axiom is missing a bit of punch when I get the whole line out the guides, but from what I understand, this isn't a necessary cast for Bonz. The rod casts fine, it just fades a bit on the power end while double hauling. This doesn't affect fish fighting.

I'm looking around slowly. I still have almost 10 months to get rigged properly and to practice (does it sound like i'm starting to get excited!!!)
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread