+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: earing up for the flats

Exclamation earing up for the flats

Hi all. I need help!

So my buds finally convinced me and I need to gear up and then practice for a trip next Christmas.

Jardines de la Reina in Cuba. Bonz mostly, small and medium tarpon, as well as Jacks in the afternoon.

I know I will need two rods. My 8-9 wts are all 10 footers, so I'll look for some 9 foot rods, 8 and 10 wt.

I need help with reels! Ideas???

Thanks for any help from a salt flats newbie!!
    Christopher Chin

Here' my reel idea, leave your heavy coat home!

Sounds like you in for some fun in the sun...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    Hi all. I need help!

So my buds finally convinced me and I need to gear up and then practice for a trip next Christmas.

Jardines de la Reina in Cuba. Bonz mostly, small and medium tarpon, as well as Jacks in the afternoon.

I know I will need two rods. My 8-9 wts are all 10 footers, so I'll look for some 9 foot rods, 8 and 10 wt.

I need help with reels! Ideas???

Thanks for any help from a salt flats newbie!!
    Chris

SW reels can be very very very very expensive, if this is not something you are going to be doing regularly then RENT !!! the gear you need, contact the lodge or resort you are going to stay at and find out how much it would cost to RENT!!!!!!,

Turneffe Flats only charges $200 for a full week you can't by 1/4 of a SW reel for that much. a good one that is.. that is just an example that I have been investigating, hoping for this spring or early summer..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

You don't need to spend big bucks on SW reels. Sure you can spend $700 for an Abel or Tibor or Hatch, or $1000 for a Mako, or $600 for a Nautilus but you can spend much less than that too. Reels suitable for bonefish can run $250 or less. Examples are Sage 1800 and 2000 series, Lamson Konic and Guru, Orvis Mid Arbor, Ross CLA, Redington Rise, Cortland Precision, and S.A. System 2 just to name a few. We have caught plenty of bonito, which are tougher than any bonefish, with a $55 Redington Crosswater, though I wouldn't make this my primary reel on an a costly trip somewhere. The Redington CDL, Sea Level Tempest, and TFO LA are fine for for Dorado and Skipjack, Jacks, Sailfish, Trevally, Tarpon, bonefish etc) and these are all less than $300. The TFO Terry Hayden Reels at $400 to $450 are a solid as other reels that cost twice has much have have the Type III adonization that is much tougher than the Type II used on most reels including the more expensive Abel, Tibor, etc. (I have both TFO Terry Hayden and Abel reels in my collection so have compared them side by side.)
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-07-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    You don't need to spend big bucks on SW reels. Sure you can spend $700 for an Abel or Tibor or Hatch, or $1000 for a Mako, or $600 for a Nautilus but you can spend much less than that too. Reels suitable for bonefishcan run $250 or less. Examples are Sage 1800 and 2000 series, Lamson Konic and Guru, Orvis Mid Arbor, Ross CLA, Redington Rise, Cortland Precision, and S.A. System 2 just to name a few. We have caught plenty of bonito with a $55 Redington Crosswater, though I wouldn't make this my primary reel on an a costly trip somewhere. The Redington CDL, Sea Level Tempest, and TFO LA are fine for for Dorado and Skipjack, Jacks, Sailfish, Trevally, Tarpon, bonefish etc).
    Hay Thanks, that is great info, gives me and I hope the OP a better chance at getting a good outfit to enjoy the SW and still be able to afford to get to the SW stuff...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Thumbs up

I was wondering about Lamson reels in the salt. I like them and have never had trouble so may look into it.

As for the $$, I'll probably look into buying gear and renting spares. A friend has a small shop and can rent out gear (Ross, GLoomis and Sage). I think I'll look into SW gear for Bonz and rent if the Tarpon are too big. I'll also see if my heavier salmon reels are up to snuff for SW.

Thanks for all the advice (keep it coming).

Sincerely,
    Christopher Chin

Most gear used for salmon will be fine for bonefish and baby tarpon. Lamson reels are pretty good and fine for the salt.

The evolution of the quality of gear produced from factories in Asia over the last few years has really made high quality gear more affordable to the benefit of the angler. Top quality U.S and Canadian made gear (Islander) is great but much of the other stuff is very good too. I have three Abel reels, but I also use much less costly gear from Ross Reels, Orvis, TFO, Redington, and G Loomis in my saltwater adventures.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.

I'm gearing up for SW fishing too (flats in April and then locally in the Chesapeake Bay). The Colton T-810 has interested me but I can't find much out about it. From their website (http://www.coltonfly.com/torrent.php) it is American made, has a good drag (which besides corrosion resistance and line capacity seems to be what separates SW reels from freshwater) and it costs $315. That isn't cheap by my standards but makes renting a reel seem like a waste of money.

Anyone here familiar with the Colton reel or the company?

Greybeard

Hi Chris,
    Ihad to gear up a couple of years ago and given that we fish Fla only a couple of times a year, I chose to go with moderately priced gear.Both the 8wt and my 10wt are TFO professional series I have a Ross CLA reel for the 8wt and a Cabelas XSS 10wt. This reel may now be discontinued.

Don't overlook what Cabelas has in saltwater reels. Mine have held up beautifully but I am meticulous about maintaining my gear. I fish saltwater only a few times a year so I couldnot justify dropping huge amounts of money on more gear.

Hope this helps,
    Gerri

Hi again Chris,
    I made an error inmy original post. My SW rods are both TFOs and are the TiCr X series.The XXS reels are still available In fact, you can put together a package that includes backing and a mastery gps flyline for around $350 depending on your choice of reels. The price of the XXS reel/TFO combo ($350) does not include the line and backing.
    The reels arewellmade andIhave nothad any problemswiththe 10 wt reel.

+ Reply to Thread