There IS a "wrong way", a "right way" AND a "it doesn't matter way" as to wrapping ferrules. Here's why ...

1) Wrong way = some manufacturers DO require the wrapping of ferrule joints. Failure to do so WOULD be incorrect.

2) Right way = same as above, but you DO wrap the ferrules.

3) It doesn't matter way = some manufacturers DO NOT require the wrapping of ferrule joints. Failure to do so wouldn't be incorrect or correct AND doing them creates the same result.

In my experience, the manufacturers of blanks are split about 50/50. The BEST approach is to ask each when first using their products. IF in doubt OR you can't get a qualified answer (such as imported blanks), I suggest ferrule wraps. They aren't going to hurt a thing and lack of use might just do so IF they are needed.

When wrapping ferrules, it is advisable to wrap a length of approximately 2X the OD of the female end of the joint. Get as close as humanly possible to the end AND put a bit more pressure on the wrap than you would with a guide. I like to have the male end of the ferrule inside the female during wrapping to keep the shape intact, that allows me to not be concerned about injuring the female end. I remove the male section during epoxy application.

Jim -