I am ready to start building a 4 pc Tiger Eye blank and the company I purchased the blank from went out of business (or I'd ask them this question).

On the butt piece and where the middle two pieces join, the finish on the female end of the rod section does not have the glossy coat all the way to the end of the section. On the butt end of the rod the reel seat will cover this up. In the middle of the rod there is nothing to hide this "discrepancy." I've built several other one and two piece, glass and graphite rods in the past but I've never encountered this before. I have not taken any pictures of the blank but I can if my description is inadequate.

I suppose I can either ignore it, cut the offending piece off, or try and put a thread wrap over it to cover it up. There seems to be plenty of over-lap to cut the unfinished part off (about 3/8") but I'm nervous about shortening the ferrule joint (unless I hear here that it isn't a problem). I'm also not sure quite how I'd do this without damaging the section. I'd probably approach it with either a Dremel tool or a sanding disc on a stationary tool.

Ignoring it seems like the best option but it irks me because it wasn't what I'd call a cheap blank (roughly $80). Putting a wrap over it seems a bit cosmetic and would probably just remind me of the problem (so I'm back to ignoring it).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did you solve it?

Greybeard