+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My challenge to fly box manufacturers...

Default My challenge to fly box manufacturers...

Ok so I have this thing with the flies I tie, I need to have them all organized and in their place in the boxes I have for them, nice and neat like little soldiers in formation. My issue is that I cannot find a good fly box for midges (bead head zebra and such) ever box I have tried they fall out of the edges of them and mix and mingle where they do not belong and I eventually lose a few when I try to retie with a different pattern. So in my mind I believe that there is an R&D guy out there reading these threads looking for his next great thing to make for his company to make millions. i know a bit far fetched but a guy has to have hope....

In reality what do you all use and am I just being to anal retentive or am I not the only one that doesn't like to see my flies desegregated? I have tried everything and my only problem is that I don't like a box that you hook them in the foam since I have so many and in so many different color combos, currently I have them in one of the two sided ten compartment per side little divided thingy, and they are all over inside there.

Steve

Blog Entries

A friend uses small individual zip-lock bags, lots of them. Put them inside a bigger bag and you have a fly box.
    art

I use almost exclusively plastic compartment boxes. I like foam boxes for nymphs and streamers....but no foam box I have found yet lets dry fly hackle lay right. SO I use the clear boxes with the feet that can snap together, in 6-8-12 & 15 compartments.

Maybe if it is only for midges and other minutiae (which tend to crawl over or under the dividers) a better solution would be the boxes sold at the drug store for a week's pills. Some of them hold 7 days x 3 times per day. They close very tight, and some have individual lids for each compartment. The only challenge is getting the contents out - may have to carry tweezers for those flies.

Take a look at Cliff's "Day's Worth" box. It's magnetic on one side. No "compartments", but everything stays in its place due to the magnet. I use one for my bluegill wet flies and love it!

almost every midge I tie is on a TMC 2499 spbl size 16, the only exception to tha rule is larva lace midges that are tied on size 20 TMC 5263. I have thought about the pill boxes, I guess I'm just a bit of a purist in tat I just think it looks cheesy, although I will say I use old tap and drill tubes for bass flies, but I justify that in saying they are big manly flies they can go in something like a tap or drill tube since that also seems to be manly!!! (weird logic I know) I also tried the baggies, and then dropped about 30 flies in the water trying to change flies and decides that was a bad idea. I want style convenience and function all in one.... (too much to ask I know)

Steve

Little bitty midge flies, I like a magnet!

I bought a cheaper small fly box and ripped out the foam on each side. I bought a roll of magnetic strips and glued each side of the box with the magnet strips.
    Just drop the small midge flies on the magnet strips and they stay right there!
    Mark 1:17

Normand Guest

so what wrong with the C&F style fly boxes with the slit foam?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Take a look at Cliff's "Day's Worth" box. It's magnetic on one side. No "compartments", but everything stays in its place due to the magnet. I use one for my bluegill wet flies and love it!
    I have the same thing, got it on Ebay. It is a great box and I love the compartment in the back with the magnets. It works for me.

Cold Guest

Like the C&F's I use the Flambeau vertical slit foam

http://fishing.flambeauoutdoors.com/fishing.html

I use the small size, with the swing leaf, slit foam on all surfaces except one side of the swing leaf that has flat foam, which I use as a kinf of fly patch when I dont wanna hunt down the slot a fly came out of and put it in wet.

+ Reply to Thread