+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaders for saltwater

Should I use something thicker if I'm throwing an 8wt?
    I believe I can fly fish

No. No need to go heavier.

Default Florida Style

One of the Florida guides that visit this site can confirm or contradict this, but what I use down there is 40#-50# butt section about 3-4 feet, then a class tippet (lighter line to use for records and such) about 18 inches, then at least 20# shock tippet -- probably more like 30# of about 2-4 feet.

I use a similar configuration for topwater or when using an intermediate line for many situations. I have never fished for bonefish or tarpon but I used leaders like that for trevally and queenfish on the flats in Australia. For ocean topwater or I line presentations here in SoCal I will omit the bit leader use a longer class tippet unless I am targeting barracuda.

Martin, I don't know in your area but in my surf area of long beaches and mid-size waves I use WFFloating lines and WFIntermediate (I rate sink).
    Both formulas work perfect in my case with Deceivers, WB's and Clousers. 25 to 40lbs butt, to start the leader, depending on what fish and rod.
    For 6wt rods and 4-6 size hooks y use 25-20-15 or 10lbs leader progresion.
    For 8wt rods and bigger hooks, 40-30-20lbs knotted leaders.
    Regards

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew I'd get some good answers here. I;m going to try to make my own..the 60, 20, 20 idea sounds good, so that's where I'll start....and then go from there. Thanks again for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Thanks RocketFish, I appreciate the info.
    I believe I can fly fish

All the options mentioned are good. There are a couple of others(just to add to the confusion). If you're tying your own, a 50% "rule" works-step down 50% with each section. i.e. on a 9' leader that's 4'-5' of butt(40#-50#), 2'-3' next(30#-40#), then a foot or two of 10#-15#.
    You can also use purchased tapered leaders and customize them. I've been buying 12#-20#, 7.5' leaders when they're on sale, and adding the tippet needed for the specific fish. Even though a tapered leader may cost you $5, most of it will last a long time, and adding tippet is what you'll do no matter the system you choose.
    Finally, I've become a fan of twisted(not furled) leaders. I used the same leader for 5 days last summer in Baja. Caught 20# jacks every am, plus roosters and skipjacks later in the day. Just added a length of tippet each nite.

Is fluorocarbon a must? I got enough regular green mono size 10 and 12 that I'd like to use. I like Tailingloop suggestion (level leader 6' of 10 or 12 pound test).
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread