+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flounder

Default Flounder

Any experience here with those flat fish?
    I just caught a couple in my life but I noticed that are really aggressive. 8wt, Clousers and floating lines are my tackle and I will try again this weekend.

Thumbs up

I target summer flounder (fluke) here in Connecticut in the late summer, early fall.
    They follow the schools of the young of the year menhaden (peanut bunker) right into the surf zone
    Clousers on a floating line work for me also. I cast in front of a moving school of bait, let the fly sink, then sharply jig it back.
    While the fluke are a bottom fish, they'll hit a fast moving fly at any level of the water column
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Yep,one of my favorite summer targets.Clousers and decievers work well on a floater or intermediate line.A black/orange Clouser with copper flash was hot last year for me.

not sure what your exact situation is but I used to slam them on the Outer Banks of NC with a clouser...white was great and so was white/green...I used to add white bunny strip off the tail of the hook about 4 inches to add movement while dragging the surf...really effective under pier lights around pilings and off rock jetti in the surf...really good to eat

Hey Bonefish have ever fished from them here in Florida. I live on the SW coast and always wanted to try to target flounder.

no I havent...I have limited experience here in reality...I only know the west side of Biscayne Bay in Miami...have never fished or traveled more than 20 miles either way to access the oceanside..not even sure if they are in Florida

I caught one two years ago while fishing for trout on a white-chartreuse clouser, Close to Fort deSoto Park in Tampa Bay.It was in the spring.

+ Reply to Thread