+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor rope tie offs

Good thought, had not come to my mine. I have heard of guys cutting ropes under dams when generators started without warning.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Look up cleats under West Marine or other marine supply sources. Thry have many styles of jam and clam cleats.
    Some with block built in so you are always pulling in a way most efficeint to your body plus they release with a simple motion.
    Harken makes some very nice cleats but they are proud of them price-wise.
    When I raced boats we called the mainsheet block the Family Jewels!

Here's a link to several different types:
    http://www.westmarine.com/1/2/home-s...nd-clam-cleats
    Last edited by Jackster; 02-06-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Uncle,

I made a 10 pound anchor too, just hopeing to get to try the Hooch one day. I don't think the dog leash will actually pull the anchor up, I figure I'll have to do that by hand, but I thought it would store the rope out of the way. (sorry hap, line out of the way)Which will keep a big clumsy feller like me from getting into a mess.

hNt

PS, I never go out without a PFD. I may be a crazy old hillbilly, but I ain't dumb. ...well at least not that dumb.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Lightbulb

I made a 30lb anchor out of chain looped and tied together with a bolt. It get hung up less often than a real anchor and holds well.

If possible, run a pulley off the foot peg or frame. This way, you can get a better pull on the line (I would have said rope).

NEVER put a knot in the end of the line.

Also see :
    Outlaw review

... as there is a section on the anchor pulley modifications I made to my 'toon.

Keep a river knife close at hand!
    Christopher Chin

Clearly, my solution is not suitable for larger boats, but for my kayak I clamp the anchor line to the gunwale with a squeeze type hand clamp. It's never failed me, and if I need to get loose fast a quick backhand will knock it clear in a split second. Sometimes, a split second is about all the time you have and a knife, no matter how sharp, isn't going to be out and done in time.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Thinking of some of the holes on the stretch of the Hooch I am most likely to use the toon on I'm thinking about 25 - 30 ft. of 3/8 line through the mfgr. installed pulley into 1" pvc tubing to a pulley on the left foot rest to a cleat on the left side of the frame just forward of the seat. I may add a short piece of 1/4 in. cord with a piece of flexible rubber tubing at the end at a 90 deg. angle and a plastic ball or bottle with a 1/2 eye bolt on the line between the anchor and the first pulley so if I have to release the line the ball or bottle would float the end of it and let someone recover it.

I just thought up the bottle idea, your opinion appreciated.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread