+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4, 5/6, 7/8.... ???

Hybrid View

Default 3/4, 5/6, 7/8.... ???

I dont quite understand what this is all about.... How can one rod be two different weights? How do you know what line to use? Say i have a 5/6 9ft rod what line wt. should i use/ would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by garb72 View Post
    I dont quite understand what this is all about.... How can one rod be two different weights? How do you know what line to use? Say i have a 5/6 9ft rod what line wt. should i use/ would work best?
    Both. Either. And quite likely, a DT4 and a WF 7.

John
    The fish are always right.

Normand Guest

those are the older rod designations whereas a 5/6 could handle a dt 5wt and a wf 6wt (i think thats right)

most of today's rods will do the same but no longer carry that designation

Most rods now are built the same, but carry the higher of the 2 designations.

Quote Originally Posted by garb72 View Post
    there was a time when rods carried multiple weight designations. rod building wasnt projected as an exact science. I still think most rods are capable of handling different weights, but marketing has a lot to do with it.

it's been stated, certain rod makers now will actually give the incorrect weights for their rods, so the rods are easier to cast to the less experiences casters among us and this gives them the false impression the rod is better than it actually is.

I have an early generation 9' Sage DS2 that I bought back in the early 90's and is rated for 6/7. I emailed Sage some time ago and asked them about that and they told me that the rod was most likely built to throw a 6wt but that for a beginner a 7 might be easier. I have thrown both and agree with what they told me. It cast very well with a 6 but seems to loose some distance an umph with a 7.

I also agree with what has been said about older rods (especially glass) that were rated for two lines. The lower number usually referred to a double taper and the higher number a weight forward. Double taper for dry fly fishing and weight forward for wets and streamers. Throwing the double taper might give you a faster action and the weight forward a bit slower.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Regardless of what is marked on the rod it will cast one wt/taper line better than any other. I've always understood the dual line ratings to mean the lesser number matches with DT and the greater number matches with WF.
    Personally I think its all bunk designed to fool the novice into thinking his/her rod is more versatile.

Try different lines on the rod. When you find one that throws better than all the others you'll know it.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-03-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks.
    I always wondered about that designation. Now I know the root of the 'problem'.

But if that is the reason for the designation, why on earth does it seem the 'beginner' rods are designated this way? There is no way a beginner would know that.

Personally I've always steered clear of a rod that was designated like that.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Thanks.
    I always wondered about that designation. Now I know the root of the 'problem'.

But if that is the reason for the designation, why on earth does it seem the 'beginner' rods are designated this way? There is no way a beginner would know that.
    Many high end cane rods are rated for two weights, it's not just "beginner" rods. (Although there, it's understood that one is for DT and one is for WF, and that YMMV.)

I'm more curious about why so many rods are only rated for one line size. Yes, for a given caster, at a given distance, for a given fly and length of leader, one line weight will cast best, but there's always a range of line sizes that will best fit a given rod given different casters and distances cast.

I think a lot of manufacturers rate a rod to emphasize what they think is the best feature. Sage, for example, I think constantly rates rods at the lowest possible line weight for which the rod is castable, to make the rod seem as fast as possible. Back in the 80's, I owned several Powells that I thought were rated a line size too big, so as to emphasize delicacy and precision.

I'd much rather that more makers gave us a range than their guess about what the customer wants.
    Bob

Actually, the dual line weight designation is probably more accurate that a single line designation unless the manufacturer is using an objective measure like CSS. Most manufacturers design rods to accomodate the most likely line used by the average caster of that particular rod. It is a subjective determination. That is why you see people over and underling rods to match their casting style.

Line weight refers to the line, not the rod. The first 30 feet of a line of a certain weight will weigh in a certain range (even this is not exact). The rod is rated at the line weight that, in the opinion of the designer, the average caster would be casting on it. If I am an agressive caster aerializing a lot of line, I may underline the rod. If I am a finesse caster making short casts, I may overline it. The dual line designation at least recognizes the subjective nature of rating rods.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread