+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishers that CAMP!

Default Fly Fishers that CAMP!

The wife and I plan our yearly excursions and regardless of whether its to the Smoky Mtns, or the WS USA or even to the Rocky Mtns...we travel via motorhome and we CAMP.

Now it doesnt matter if you go via bicycle and stay in a tent; pickup truck and stay in a slide-in...or pull a trailer...its "camping".

We got tired of over priced rooms; rooms that can be "suspect" in cleanliness at best!!!..and having to eat "store bought" chow.

Not counting the 850 lbs of drinking / service water I carry...we have the ability to haul 6000 pounds of JUNK......but who knows what 1 ( or the 2 of us) might need??

So who else enjoys the REAL "out of doors" besides us....because "standing in a stream" is just one part of "outside".

Thumbs up Camping

Haven't done it any other way for almost 30 years. Started with our first pickup camper in 1981. Now it's a 32-foot trailer. Still visit some of the same places; added a lot more.

Now if your going to get back into the boonies like I do, you'll need something kinda light.

Like so ~

Cold Guest

If you take 6000 lbs of junk with you, I, personally, wouldn't call it camping...

When I go, I can normally fit everything I need for a weekend on my back.

That's camping.

Blog Entries

Back in the mid 70's, I had a 28' Teton trailer I pulled around with a GMC Jimmy (LOTS of load equalizing hitch! )

It became an obsession for my hunting buddies to try to find someplace I could not drag that trailer into. Naturally, on really cold nights, they were glad it was there, but they had fun with it none the less. I wound up welding 10,000 lb casters midway between the wheels and hitch and again on the very back of the frame just in front of the bumper. That cured the high centering problems. The last year I took it out, I had to use a come-along to winch trees to hold them back so I could turn one corner, but that was the worst of it. It sure was great to see the looks on their faces when they pulled into camp to find the trailer there and set up.

If I had something like Sully's rig, my wife just might go "camping".
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I spent one miserable night in a tent last year and came away realizing I have gotten too old for that.

I keep thinking about motor homes, trailers and even used VW campers, but I just can't get the math to work out right. I can't get the costs to be paid out by motel and restaurant savings during the number of years I am likely to be "camping".

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

My late wife and I made some 20 annual two-week trips to Wyoming and took everything we needed in either a station wagon or a SUV, and spent only the next to last night awqay from home in a motel for the benefit of a hot shower. The first and last nights were spent in a motel as we were, as Willie Nelson said, "On The Road Again". Our 3-man dome tent paid for itself the first week we used it. And that little gal could set up, or break, camp as fast as I could. Those trips ended when I lost my companion of 39 years.

Talking

With 5 children and 6 weeks vacation how else would one travel. We have been in every state,Mexico and Canada. Wait --never wanted to go to one Hawaii. After I retired and the kids on their own wife and I decided to buy a truck with a fold down truck camper. This time I fished for 8 weeks thru the west and up into Alberta. Told her I was tired of fishing at the farthest point north and fished all the way home. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    ... Those trips ended when I lost my companion of 39 years.
    And you have my deepest sympathies sir....!

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Now if your going to get back into the boonies like I do, you'll need something kinda light.

Like so ~

Ahhhh yes! Be still my heart!!

+ Reply to Thread