+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishers that CAMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    The old girl scout in me still likes to keep my camping primitive. The arthritic middle-aged lazy person who has taken up residence in my soul is starting to think about a pop-up. My favorite camping lately is to pack a week's worth of stuff into a solo canoe and head out on an Adirondack lake until the power boats are behind me and the fish look hungry. I set up a screened-in hammock with rain fly, build a fire, and stay until I get tired of the facilities. Life is good.

Meet Amelia. She 16 feet long and weighs only 30 pounds and if I feel like it, I add some outriggers and I can stand up and cast with ease. Mostly, though, I prefer to keep my seat. When I'm in a hurry I put on the heat with a double blade paddle. Otherwise, I can J stroke all day long.
    Tow the pop-up...and load that sweet looking canoe on top of it...Best of both worlds

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the outdoors, so I usually camp alone, with my Jungle Hammock, or my small Hillary tent, and a backback. Or sometimes, I just don't want to go home, so I just curl up under a tree. I have a small water filter, and carry 3 or 4 water bottles. Many times, I go on my bicycle. I have a trailer for it.

I loved to camp in a tent as a younger person. I still love the idea of it, but the reality of it gets harder each year.

I would love to hear one of you non-tent campers put forth a persuasive argument about saving money versus staying in a Motel 6 equivalent. Really! Cuz I would use your argument to help convince my "Holiday Inn is roughing it" bride to be cheerful about me purchasing anything more advanced than a tent.

My situation is made worse by the fact that I would have to pay to store anything I bought for camping. And I no longer own a truck.

I've spent a lot of time on this -- lusting and calculating. I have concluded that the truth is that I cannot justify the cost of owning a non-tent alternative.

I do not challenge you owners of non-tent alternatives, though. Heck, I'm from the now arthritic generation of "if it feels good, do it". If you and your spouse feel you are getting great enjoyment out of it, by all means do it!

Parking my 40' bus by great trout waters as my bride just beams in anticipation of the week ahead? Wow, what a fantastic dream! I then fly away from my bus with no wings. Right to some beautiful water where I catch a 30" trout.

Then I wake up and the math favors Motel 6.

My wife and I simply love to go camping. We used to throw our two man tent in the car and off we went. We soon learned though that to get to the secluded places we needed an upgrade and after some consideration I got my current setup. I simply love my " bakkie" (You guys call it a truck, I think). My tent is on my roof, fridge in the back and a portable shower and toilet for the wife goes with. I tend to "shower" and do my business in the river or bush. We can travel pretty much anywhere we want, and do just that. Our trip normally take us where very few people go and where there is absolutely no facilities, so we carry everything we need for trips that can last anything from one day to a week or two.

Sorry for boring you with some pics, but I like to share.

Sometimes the road can be long and boring...

Other times hard and difficult and it makes you wonder what you are doing there

Sometimes even the dogs thinks " This place is to hot"

And sometimes after a long days travel all you want to do is sit.

The journey is always interesting though.

Sometime when you ar camping all you can do is hunker down and wait for the storm to hit...

But at the end of the day when you find that magical place it is all worth it.

And of course spending time with friends and family and celebrating a great day is what its all about.

Cold Guest

Awesome pics! I think I have a pretty good idea...but why do you camp atop the vehicle?

Well firstly it takes me about 5 min to unpack or pack up, and I can stop pretty much anywhere where there is some level ground. Dont have to worry about finding smooth soft area to pitch up the tent.

Secondly it is very secure on top of the vehicle, dont have to worry about anchoring it in strong wind.

Thirdly when you are in a national park deep in the bush it is comforting to know that some elephant, lion, hyena, etc is not going to just walk into or over you while you sleep.

Lastly when you park next to a river or the sea, it is always great to wake up in the morning and have an extended view of what is around you.

+ Reply to Thread