I've not paid $400 a day for a guide yet, but would under certain circumstances. These being, am I fishing private water that I couldn't get onto without a guide? Are they providing a drift boat, lunch, flies, etc on this private water? Are they knowlegeable enough to teach me something while being pleasant? Are they locked into the 8-5 hours or are they willing to fish late into the evening to catch spinner falls, etc?

Granted I find $400 pricey, but under certain circumstances., maybe worth it. I generally take my first trip down the rivers I fish with a guide, then all others with my own rig. I've learned something from every guide I've ever fished with be it the Green, Snake, Lower Sac, and many others. Most were quite pleasant, but I don't recall ever paying over $300-325 for 2 persons, but I've not hired a guide for the past 5 years.

I know they earn their $$, but the same can be said for teachers, many blue collar workers, and numerous other professions. Tell me about the hours that teachers put in "off the clock"! I'd be willing to bet that there aren't many guides that put in any more hours than some of these other professions.
Mike