+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly Fishing artwork

One of my favorite "old" patterns:

Alexandra, colored pencil on paper.

Bill

Thanks, all, here and the PMs. Such amazing talent!

David and I were absolutey taken with Bob White's illustration in the previous issue of Fly Rod and Reel (his paintings grace the John Gierach column). I'd agree with Lew that his site and review are worth the visit, but THAT painting... sigh... so nice.

In fact, we were so taken with that last illustration/painting, that we contacted Bob to see if it would ever be available as a print ... we would have gladly begged - grin - but we didn't have to... he's making it available. If you haven't seen it (or can't find last month's mag anywhere), let me descibe it: Its a still life of bamboo rod making, with a Lie-Nielsen plane, the Garrison book, a few cork rings, some old-style spools of silk thread, some shavings, some planed cane string-bound into blanks, etc, all captured in a warmth that absolutely melts my heart. If a pic of it becomes available somewhere, I'll post it if anyone wants to see it! Or you can come to our house - grin - soon, hopefully.

I also like Michael Simon's work very much. David Footer is sort of a neighbor, and a gentle, generous soul. Like Parnelli, we also have objects turned art, especially a couple dear letters and the ticket stub/shavings from David's contribution to a Grayrock "Makers Rod".

Thanks for broadening my artistic vision

Kat

(thanks for the kind words, Alec)

For anyone in the Midwest interested in Bob White's work it's confirmed that he will again have a presence at The Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo in Minneapolis this spring.

------------------
    "Take what you can use and let the rest go by." Ken Kesey

While not fly fishing I have fallen for the work of Robert Wood. I am lucky enough to own one from his Catskills period showing a creek in the Catskills in the fall and last Dec I saw one for sale for more then I could afford of his North West period of MT Hood. I really wish I could have afforded that one but the antique store wanted more then I paid for my commuter car.
    A print by Robert Wood I picked up for $8 at Value Village started me on my love of outdoor paintings and prints. That one print started me to collecting the dozen or so paintings that I now own plus many prints. I have been told by some of Amie girlfriends that our condo looks like some type of studio or something with all the walls covered with prints and paintings.
    I got the Wood painting about 6 months back when we went to a moving sale and I got the paintings for $50. Amie my girl friend and fishing partner saw me carry this thing around the rest of the sale looking for more of them, like as she stated like it was a teddy bear held by a small child, until we got out to the car and it went home with us. It now sits above the fire place which is next to my fly tying desk.

I have a number of pieces by David Ruimveld. Some beautiful fly fishing works as well as upland game. He's my favorite and a nice guy too!
    [url=http://www.davidruimveldstudio.com:e9f41]http://www.davidruimveldstudio.com[/url:e9f41]

Joe

+ Reply to Thread