+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: today at wally world

Blog Entries

Default today at wally world

today at wally world, I noticed that they have put SA system X waterproof fly boxes on sale at half price on close out. for me that was $7 marked down from 14. they had some other fly gear on closeout also...

I also noticed they now have super glue in "tip Proof" bottles with a brush applicator. Has anyone used these bottles?

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric,

That's a great price on the SA boxes; nice find. I like the super glue with the brush applicator - easy to apply and doesn't clog like the tip applicators do.

Regards,
    Scott

To bad the wally world in part of the country seem's to have never heard of fly fishing. Nice deal , that's a super box for the money.

Bass_Bug Guest

Thanks for the heads up Eric, I'll be checking out my Wally World for any deals!!!! When my K-Mart closed several years ago, I bought the last SA lines they had at 90% off. A couple of them were level lines lines, but for only a couple bucks each what the h3ll, right?

I use the Loctite brush on CA clue almost exclusively for foam work.
    Probably doesn't work better than other brands, but the tip proof bottle is good and the $3.24 price at Wal-Mart is hard to beat.

Blog Entries

thanks for the replies on the glue, I threw out two bottles last week that had clogged beyond use.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

When my bottle runs out, I re-fill with those little tubes of crazy glue that are always on sale.

Regards,
    Scott

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

A couple of comments, FWTAW. The CA glues have a shelf life of about 2 years maximum IF left unopened. Shelf life can be extended if the unopened container is stored in the freezer. Freezing an opened container may, in fact, speed up loss of life. This has to do with moisture getting into the container while the top is off and if it is very humid in the work area. To keep the tip from clogging, after use, squeeze to just fill the tip, put the retainer cap on and store up-side-down. Also, never wipe the tip off after use, as this may leave lint, etc., that will cause a clog.

At Dollar General they sell super glue in little dropper bottles 2 for a dollar I believe. They have 50% more glue in them than the standard tubes (3 grams vs. 2 grams)

I tie flies a lot, and one day I left the top off of one of them. A few days later, I cringed thinking it would be dried out. It was FINE.

So for the sake of science, I decided to leave the top off until it DID dry out.
    It took over a month! A great way to avoid clogs and that sticky goo & crust that forms on the outside of the neck of the bottle. I only put the cap on now if I'm not going to use it for several days.

I did notice that if there was glue inside the tip, it started to gum a little, so now I just make sure I can see clearly down inside the bottle after each use. Problem solved. No more clogs, no more struggling with caps, just grab & use.

This has saved me a lot of time when I tie dozens at a time for my store. Plus at 50 cents a bottle, I won't really care if it does finally dry out.
    As for 2 year shelf life, I've never owned a bottle that long, I use it up.

Also, get some really cheap q-tip knock offs, the ones with less cotton that is tightly wound on the tip. Touch this to the fly behind and to the side of your whip finish as you apply the super glue. It will instantly soak up any excess glue before it gets all over the fly, while getting just the right amount onto the head. (Regular q-tips are too 'fuzzy' and tend to leave cotton stuck to the fly sometimes)

I still haven't seen the 'brush bottle' super glue, but I'm definitely going to try it when I do.

Bill
    Last edited by lepomac; 02-02-2010 at 07:00 AM.
    NEVER sneeze into your fly box!

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    To bad the wally world in part of the country seem's to have never heard of fly fishing. Nice deal , that's a super box for the money.
    Im in the same boat

+ Reply to Thread