Fraser Valley report for the week of Feb 1, 2010

Our spring seminars are now posted on our website. This year we are offering Jet Boat Clinics, 3 - day fly casting seminars, sturgeon seminars and our popular steelhead seminar. You can book on line or call us for Gift Certificates. These seminars are excellent for the novice to advanced and make great Christmas Gifts.
? Sturgeon seminar
? Steelhead seminar
? 3 - day Fly casting
? Jet Boat Seminar
Win a Free STS Hoodie ? just send us an e-mail and we will enter you.
Ride to Conquer Cancer - Would you like to support Vic Carrao of STS in his ride to conquer cancer. Vic and his daughter Deanna will be riding 260 km on June 19/20. Everyone who makes a donation in the name of Vic or Deanna Carrao will be entered to win a weekend sturgeon fishing vacation for 2 at Fraserview Anglers Retreat. Your guides for the day will be Vic and his Daughter Deanna. Our goal is to raise $5000.00, any $$ contribution will be entered to win, no amount is too small. If you have any family members that have passed from Cancer we will be honored to carry their name on our bikes, arms, shirts or anywhere we have room.
Please visit our personal Ride to Conquer page at the Url below, just type either Vic or Deanna Carrao. You can follow our training along on our Blogs and keep in touch with us by posting your support. http://va10.conquercancer.ca/site/Pa...=va10_homepage

Fraser Valley Report

Fraser River
The Fraser River is in great shape, water clarity is excellent. Not allot of anglers out on the water these days so it?s nice getting out, especially when the weather is so mild. This past weekend one of our guides did well, landing 4 fish for the day with one over 5 ft. Although that is well below our average, for winter fishing that is not too bad.
If your planning on heading out, you can find active fish feeding in some of the deeper holes, salmon eggs seem to work best during winter months but you can also catch fish using Eulichons and eels. We are now selling seats for our annual Sturgeon seminar held in April, to book a seat please call or e-mail us. You can read more about our Sturgeon Seminar.

Our next peak sturgeon season is in the spring, which brings our annual migration of the Eulachon (small bait fish) to the Fraser River to spawn. Food in winter is scarce so when the Eulachon arrive the Sturgeon are eager to feed, it's not uncommon to hook 15 to 20 fish in a 6 hour trip. If you're looking for a great spring fishing adventure, sturgeon/steelhead combo makes for a great angling vacation.

Fraser Trout Fishing

If your looking for some winter trout fishing you can find some decent Cutthroat Trout fishing on the Fraser River during winter. Many of the side ponds and back channels hold fish during winter months. You can also find actively feeding trout in the main stream near the shoreline.

For fly fishing I highly recommend using winter stone fly patterns. Stone fly?s are readily available in the Fraser and are the main food diet for feeding trout. You can also find some decent Pike Minnow fishing in the Fraser using small bead headed stone fly patterns. If you?re a fly tier, check out our fly patterns fly patterns

Vedder River Steelhead
The Vedder fished well over the weekend, water clarity and flow was excellent. Gerry was out on the water guiding and instructing new steelheaders. After two days of fishing they managed to hook three steelhead, landed 2 of them.Here?s what one of our guests had to say after fishing Saturday with Gerry.
Hi Vic,

The day on the water was everything I wanted and more! We had a good size steelhead on but I lost it unfortunately. But it was still a great experience, none the less. Gerry is great guide, and extremely knowledgeable. I learned so much in what seemed like a short period of time, and I believe I gained some of the fundamentals of catching these amazing fish. In fact, I just went out today, and with Gerry's tips fresh in mind, I landed my very first steelhead! Thanks again for the support and great service. You will definitely be hearing from me again to book another guided trip or seminar.
If your looking to get out on the flow for steelhead, we offer guided steelhead fishing on the Vedder River which is one of our largest steelhead producing rivers in SW British Columbia. STS Guide Gerry Dewar is considered one of the top anglers on the Vedder and has been catching brood stock for the past 30 years. All guide trips on the Vedder are walk and wade with instructional steelhead fishing available on all of our guided trips. Best fishing is between Feb 15 to April 15.

Trout fishing in the Valley

The Upper Pitt River sea-run Bull Trout fishery is almost hear. End of May through the month of June is best. Book now as we limit the number of anglers per day on this river. Last year our biggest trout was 12 lbs but we did manage quite a few fish between 8 to 10 and lots of 4 to 6 lb trout. Our best day was 40 fish on the fly so don't miss out on this world class fishery. Check out these fish from last year. http://www.guidebc.com/photos/photofly2.asp

There are several local rivers that offer some great winter trout fishing on the fly. Although these rivers can sometimes be difficult to reach due to bad weather, they are definatley worth the effort. We will continue to offer guided trout fishing throughout the winter for those anglers looking for some real adventure. Please give us a call or e-mail to find our more about our winter trout fishing adventures.

Harrison River
The Harrison River can produce some good results for cutthroat trout during the winter months. Fishing egg patterns under a float with a drift rod or fly rod is a great way to entice them, also fly fishing with streamers and minnow patterns can work well. One fly that should not be overlooked in the winter is the Flesh fly using a down stream dead drift presentation. If you're not planning on hitting the flow over the winter, spend some time on our fly tieing gallery, you will find hundreds of fly patterns to choose from.
STS Guiding Service is committed to providing current and future clients with the highest level of service and quality angling experiences at the lowest price possible. We pride ourselves on our personal and friendly service, our ability to catch fish on 95% of our guided charters. We are fishing the area 12 months of the year. For us fishing is a year round commitment, not just a summer job.
Join our team of 8 professional guides for the 2008 season and see why STS is considered #1 in the valley.
To Book Your next guided adventure, call us Toll Free 1-866-771-3474

Extraordinary Fly-fishing for Sea Run Bull Trout

BOOK NOW FOR JUNE 2010
45 minutes from Vancouver is one of British Columbia?s best-kept secrets. The Upper Pitt River is located at the north end of Pitt Lake, North America?s only freshwater tidal lake. Each spring the Upper Pitt River receives thousands of Sea-run Bull trout heading back to their home waters in Garibaldi Park to spawn. Each high tide brings a fresh run of fish into the lower reaches of the Upper Pitt River. We begin targeting this bright chrome fish in mid May with fantastic fishing opportunities through June until mid to late July. Some of the best fishing occurs between May 21 to Jun 31. These fish reach as much as 14 lbs with an average size of 4 to 8 lbs. incredible action on the fly and light spinning tackle. We are now booking for our May ? June 2008 Sea-run Bull Trout Fishery. This trip is limited to 2 boats per day so book now for best dates.

To Book Your next guided adventure, call us Toll Free 1-866-771-3474

Remember to conserve your catch
Tight Lines and we will see you on the water
Vic Carrao
www.guidebc.com
sts@guidebc.com
604- 671-FISH ( 3474)