+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STILLWATERS--FISHING THE MIDGE HATCH - Eye of the Guide - February 1, 2010

Blog Entries

Default STILLWATERS--FISHING THE MIDGE HATCH - Eye of the Guide - February 1, 2010

STILLWATERS--FISHING THE MIDGE HATCH

How to fish during the hatch when the trout are selectively feeding on a certain stage of the hatching insect can indeed be a perplexing problem. Careful observation is the key to understanding what imitation to use and how to fish it.

Excellent tutorial! Thanks for sharing. Lately there has been a new method for the midges on Henry's Lake. This would be the use of long leaders and a Deep Lake release strike indicator and then dropping a midge imitation down to the depth of the fish and letting the wave action or providing a little movement by hand mimic the midge in the water column. Very effective by those who have tried it. I know that Fly Goddess is a big fan, so maybe she'll wade in here and give some more tips.
    Thanks again for the great article and info!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Smile

Thanks Tom

I think we are could use a lesson in observing and being patient

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the midge hatches and an outline what one can look for at these times. This will be my second year on stillwater and info like this is invaluable. I look forward to reading anything else you may have in observing hatches and what one should consider in presentation options.

+ Reply to Thread