+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLY TYING - WHY? - Neil - February 1, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FLY TYING - WHY? - Neil - February 1, 2010

FLY TYING - WHY?

It was back in the early 60's when a newly married boy, not really yet a man, discovered that fishing with a bit of fur and feathers attached to a hook was about as much fun as a guy could have wearing rubber pants and standing waist deep an icy cold stream. Not long after that epiphany I discovered that I too could create those bits of fur and feather that you attach to the end of your leader. The rest, as they say, is history.

Default NOLL Guide To Trout Flies and how to tie them

Great Article about"Back Then and Now"!

I was born in 1949, spent the first forty-six years of my life baitfishing, trolling, and spincasting. Not having a family history of fly fishing, made me a late bloomer when it came to "Fly Fishing".

I have a habit of visiting all the used books store in my area, and some of the store managers have started save new arrivals of old books for me to peruse, that are related to fly fishing. I buy some and I help them at their importance the others, so they can decide how to market them for sale.

I came across a "NOLL Guide to Trout Flies and how to tie them" booklet (copyrwrite, 1970) it was the artwork of all the colorful fly patterns as well as the material lists, that made me purchase it. 48 pages, divided into: 3 page introduction, 32 pages of pictures of flies and their material listings,6 pages of How to Tie a Fly and 4 pages of pictures of the what the materials should look like.

Wonderful art work but very short on instructions. Yet it is still one of my favorite paperback books on Fly Tying for the pictures of Dry Flies (40 patterns),Wet Flies (72 patterns), Nymphs (10 patterns), Streamers (20 patterns). Total of 122 wonder fly patterns that have colorful a bright art work. Many fly patterns have been forgotten, and rarely mentioned in current fly tying literature. Another reason I love FAOL, with their "Just Old Flies and other stuff" articles.

As for the list of what was listed for need tools one item I have never found, the "combined tweezers & dubbing needle". I am still on the look-out for finding one of those at flea markets and garage sale.

FAOL and the Step-by-Step Instructions, for 12 years of "Fly of the Week" fly patterns, as well as the Atlantic Salmon series by Ronn Lucas and Friend, and last by not least my mentor and good friend Al Campbell's and his Fly Tying series, have been the reason for my success at the fly tying table.

I really like the closing remarks of your article...

Finally, in the twilight glow of my life, I have answered, at least for me, the question. Fly tying – Why? It suits me and in some way completes me. So for now the boxes, jars, cabinets, and foot lockers filled with fly tying stuff, most of which I may never use, will remain. Somehow I take particular solace in that fact.

...that is so true, about life, the things that are most important, are the little things that made the trip worth the time, and the enjoyment you find in your endeavors, no matter how large or small!

Thank you for helping me to recall some good memories, and a reason that I continue to dress hooks!

~Parnelli
    "Chartered Member of Friends of FAOL"
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Smile

When I got interested in flyfishing as a boy. Fly tying was a natural progression because my family did not buy many store bought things. My dad built our house, my mom was and excellant seamstress and made our clothes etc. I primarily tied a sparse squirrel tail streamer for brook trout.later I tried a few dry flies from one of my gramma roosters. the the hackle wound terrible and flies looked so bad I did not fish them. So as a result i ended up being primarily a streamer and nymph fisherman.

Now i typically request at least some fly tying materials for Christmas so the cost of tying doesn't spoil my hobby. I give away 300 flies or more a year and it is great for building anticipation for when i can get on the water

My wife and I moved to West Yellowstone, MT shortly after we were married. I thought I knew a lot about flyfishing, but did not have a clue until I hit this town and was immersed in it's culture and history. I met and count as friends several of the current legends - Bob Jacklin, Craig and Jackie Matthews to name a few. My wife went to Craig and asked him to put together a 'kit' for me to get started tying and I've never looked back. I'm sure, as my wife left the shop, Craig turned to Jackie and said, "I don't think she has a clue what she just started..!" It's been a wild and creative ride, to say the least. At best, it has challenged me to become not only an imitator, but an artist; maybe not for others, but at least for myself.
    Thanks for the article and the memories.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Trav,
    Here's my relics. Dan Holland's " The Trout Fisherman's Bible" and the "Noll's Guide". That's my vise from the Guide kit and a copy of the first fly I used to catch a trout.The fly recipe came from the Bible and is referred to as a hackle fly. Mine was grizzly and black thread. I had to purchase a little package of grizzly and #16 hooks to tie the flies. These were not in the Noll kit as well you might remember yourself. After the first trout I was hooked. These worn relics have been with me it seems forever. I really don't know how they have made it. The only time we will ever separate is at my estate sale.
    One regret was not having been to Jim Deren's, Anglers Roost in NYC, to visit the portal of American fly fishing. I went west instead like a few others of our kind to find the grail.
    When we're gone may our relics rest in peace and hopefully not in the local landfill, but at least to be sold cheap to the next kid who finds our passion for the sport.
    Your article says it better than I ever could. Thanx for your thoughts.

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I tie because I like to.
    Also, most of the patterns I use are not commerically available.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread