+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CARP STEAK - What's Cooking - February 1, 2010

Blog Entries

Default CARP STEAK - What's Cooking - February 1, 2010

CARP STEAK

Greetings from Big River country where we eat carp and we like it. "Carp fries" are still a common fundraiser around here. I've helped fry anywhere up to 400 pounds of fish in one shot many times.

I would like to thank hide hunter for this interesting article. Also his instructions for scoring the fillet so that the bones are disolved works not only on carp but on pickeral as well.

Tim

Cold Guest

Pretty cool article, and nice to see a divergence from the 'carp are trash fish' and even the 'carp are a great fight, if nothing else' mentalities.

I've never eaten carp, but back when I was a Boy Scout, we fried up a few large shiners (12-16") on one campout and they were just fine with a dash of old bay. From there, I learned never to rule out a fish as a good eater just by looking at it.

Blog Entries

With all the carrying on about "trash fish" it is pleasant to read some positive data on carp.

Will have to give this a try.

Its nice to read positive words on carp. Yes, they are ugly, but they are delicious.

I have had carp on more than one occasion. I can say that it is not bad. 100% agree with the females over the males. I will add just a touch of curry for kick and some old bay. The first time I ate it, I thought it was going to be like an episode of Fear Factor but was very pleasantly surprised. Great read.

I grew up fishing for carp with doughbait my dad made. The doughbait was tasty, if the fishing was slow!

We ate carp. He must have known how to prepare it, because I don't remember it tasting bad. I also remember him salting, battering, and frying up the carp eggs. THOSE were VERY TASTY!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Smoked carp...now that's a meal that's hard to beat!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

We eat carp all the time. I don't hold much with the 'scoring' procedure, but that's because I know how to de-bone a carp, and get boneless fillets.

Also, if the carp came from questionalble water, I always keep them in a #10 washtub (or the bathtub)in cold water for 3 or 4 days, and let them clean themselves out. I feed them corn (do not let the kids 'name' them).

But I agree whole-heartedly that carp are a much under-used resource. In Europe, they are raised commercially for food. Sure, they are a little more trouble to prepare, but they are free for the taking, with no seasons or limits (at least not here in Tn.).

And if you've never had smoked carp, you are really missing out. That's my favorite way to fix them. I'd rather have smoked carp than smoked salmon.

Gotta go grab a snack. I've made myself hungry.

The 'old time' method for sweetening muddy fish (or ducks) before cooking is to cover them with cold water to which you add a handful of baking soda and a handful of regular table salt. Leave overnight, rinse and cook. The combination of soda and salt was called salsoda.

+ Reply to Thread