+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod storage?

Default Rod storage?

I was reading flyfishfairwx's post about cleaning rods and it got me to thinking. Which is dangerous How do you guys store your rods when you're not fishing? I've only got a 5 wt and a 3wt and I had thought about buying one of those cheaper gun racks at wal-mart and put them on it. I figured that beats proping them in the corner of my closet which is where they are now. I've looked at rod racks before, but they have all been for storing the rods vertical insead of horizontal. I'm not sure if that matters or not, especially if they are left in the tube so that they have support all the way across. What do you guys think?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I store them in their rod tubes and line them up in the back of my closet. For the most part they are out of sight which keeps the peace around the house.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

"For the most part they are out of sight which keeps the peace around the house."

Amen to that, out of site out of mind

Steve

As for myself, I'm not anal about "stuff" like that. I put my "stuff" away PERIOD. It take only a mere 15-20 minutes or so to find the"stuff" next year when I need it. That statement may sound sarcastic BUT it is the honest truth. My concentration is ENTIRELY on fly FISHING and not the "stuff" or the contortions needed to execute same. So far it has worked for me since 62'.
    Some may disagree.
    Mark

I posted quite awhile back about my rather "frugal" rod rack. I put a strip of adhesive backed velcro (hook) around the tube(s) & the other strip (loop) on the wall I used (in my case, it is a bookcase). It's been an extremely effective, space saving, & inexpensive (around $5.00) solution for me. I grab the tubes and go, then, when I return, I just stand 'em against the wall & they're secured. Following are some pics...

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    How do you guys store your rods when you're not fishing?
    i leave mine in the rod tube stored in the corner of the closet!

the ones i fish the most are in a db dun type of rod case ready to fish.

i also leave one in the car during the fishing season in a db dun rod case.
    Last edited by Normand; 01-31-2010 at 09:39 AM.

as long as rods and rod socks are dry nothing special is needed for synthetics.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Used to do the closet storage deal, but with closet space at a premium, I had to improvise. I had one of these things I was getting ready to toss:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I removed the shelves, and took a 3" hole saw to the top - I got 15 holes evenly spaced (3 rows of 5 holes). Next, I cut strips of felt to line the inside of the holes and glued them in place. Makes it easier to slide the tubes in and out, and protects the finish on those fancy aluminum tubes.

I'd post a picture, but I need to make two more of these things - it's surrounded by rod tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    Used to do the closet storage deal, but with closet space at a premium, I had to improvise. I had one of these things I was getting ready to toss:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I removed the shelves, and took a 3" hole saw to the top - I got 15 holes evenly spaced (3 rows of 5 holes). Next, I cut strips of felt to line the inside of the holes and glued them in place. Makes it easier to slide the tubes in and out, and protects the finish on those fancy aluminum tubes.

I'd post a picture, but I need to make two more of these things - it's surrounded by rod tubes.
    My oldest son made me a rod rack for Christmas a number of years ago that's along the same lines as yours. He made it out of white pine that he stained and varnished. I also keep a couple rods all rigged up in rod/reel cases. They stay that way year round and ready to fish on a moment's notice.

Blog Entries

I myself currently have then stored in my closet in a rather larger rod tube i like to call a bazooka. it holds 8 rods.

+ Reply to Thread